This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how much is one giygabyte?
02-19-2014, 12:24 PM
how much is one giygabyte?
I got a plan with sprint and usually I have unlimited everything but with sprint I have one gigabyte in my plan. how long will that last me and will I be using my gigabytes if I was to use apps like games or instagram, I know the girl at sprint said I probably shouldn't be using Pandora or youtube which confused me even more because now i'm scared to download or use any app. im very confused on this whole giygabyte thing and about downloading and not using apps or internet

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 12:31 PM

1024 megabytes.

Ads

02-19-2014, 12:33 PM

You can connect your phone to WiFi in your home or out shopping. Many places have free WiFi now. When you are connected to WiFi you do not use your phones Internet plan.

When you are not connected to WiFi you should be careful how much you use the Internet. For instance if you used Skype on your phone to teleconference with friends or school then you will use up 1 gigabyte in no time. But generally, I barely use 1/2 gigabyte a month. I rarely surf the Internet on my phone though.

It is mostly when you download movies from places like YouTube or photos. That uses up lots of bandwidth. You should be able to login to your providers website to periodically see how much you have used from time to time. You can also set warnings to be texted to your phone when you get close to using your entire 1 GB. If you go over they will charge you more depending on how much over you go.
02-19-2014, 12:34 PM

Definitely use WIFI as much as possible. 1GB is nothing! You can barely watch any videos. And music streaming services will run your plan out in a big hurry. You can probably burn through 1GB of data by simply watching 2hrs of 720P YouTube videos. An average large photo on a website like Deviantart, can use as much as 5mb of data. (1GB = 1024mb.) So as long as you stay away from watching videos and use WIFI for data intensive applications, you should be fine. But don't be watching any videos when not connected to WIFI. 1GB is really small as far as data plans go for Smartphones. I get 2GB as an entry level plan on my AT&T Galaxy S4. And if you want to pay a bit more, AT&T offers a 3GB plan and 5GB plan. (2GB is no longer offered, as the 3GB plan, replaced the 2GB plan that I'm grandfathered into.)

If you need, or use your internet a lot, than I would upgrade to a 2 or 3GB plan if your provider offers it. But if you can connect to a WIFI signal, than I wouldn't worry about it much. 1GB is usually going to be enough as long as you stay away from watching videos.
02-19-2014, 12:40 PM

How long it lasts depends on what you are doing & how long you are doing it for.

She probably advised that since apps like Pandora & YouTube (streaming) tends to be the most data hungry.