This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do southern states panic when they barely get any snow or it's barely cold?
02-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Why do southern states panic when they barely get any snow or it's barely cold?
On Facebook the news is putting up school closings for the southern states and in the comments people are posting pictures of the snow when it's not even covering the grass all the way and they're saying " it's 50 degrees outside it's freezing!" And here in Ohio there's about a foot and a half in snow and it's in the negative and school isn't closed. I know they barely get snow but they act like the worlds ending and they close everything when they get a inch of snow! Why do they panic so much?!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 12:29 PM

Well, how often does it snow in Ohio? I'd say it snows pretty much every year, right? And I'd imagine most cities in Ohio have snow removal equipment, right? And it would probably take an hour or so to completely remove a foot and a half of snow from every street in the state.

How often does it snow in the South? I'd imagine around once every 20 or 30 years. What benefit would a city in the South have paying for snow removal equipment? I'd say that would be an awful investment.

I was visiting my parents in Kentucky one year (early 80's) and Atlanta had one inch of snow and it brought the city to it's knees. No one had snow tires and no one had a clue HOW to drive in snow, and the news kept showing cars driving about 20 mph then sliding all over out of control. Atlanta at that time had NO SNOW REMOVAL EQUIPMENT and the city was in chaos.

At the same time I'd imagine that someone from Ohio would "panic" (actually pray for death) dealing with the heat and humidity in Atlanta. I always get a kick out of news talking about the "deadly heat wave" (uh, 90 degrees ::yawn:Smile in New York. Those people don't have a clue what "heat" is like.

Ads

02-19-2014, 12:35 PM

Because we don&#x27;t like it
02-19-2014, 12:37 PM

because they are not used to it, and have no way of preparing for it either
02-19-2014, 12:46 PM

Because they have summer tires and no snow removal equipment. Drivers with no experience on ice make a difference, too.
02-19-2014, 12:54 PM

Lack of experience makes people do things they wouldn't otherwise do.

I'm sure the same Southerners you mock are laughing at you in summer when the temperature reaches well into the 90s and the humidity is turned up to 11.
02-19-2014, 01:02 PM

Because we never get snow. I live in Tennessee, and we currently have about 10 inches of snow and pretty much everything around is closed and everyone is being warned to stay off the roads. And that is because we NEVER get this much snow. I'm in my late 20's, and this is the first time I have ever seen more than 2-3 inches of snow (and even that much is uncommon). As others have sad, it's the same as when you guys get extreme heat. To us, it is nothing for the temperature to get well into the 90's during the summer months. We are used to it and we just go on about our daily lives, many people here even doing strenuous physical labor outside in the heat. But it's probably a little different up north when the temperature gets in the 90's, isn't it?
02-19-2014, 01:03 PM

This Wayne guy thinks us Northern states can't handle their so called "heat". Hhaha. Who do you think lives in northern states such as MN, WI, MI, ND, SD, etc. ? People of European descent, like maybe Finlanders who build specific buildings (Sauna's) made for heat that put your hottest days to shame. Even Death Valley in CA where the hottest temp in U.S. History (134 degrees) doesn't come close to the heat we experience. The average temp for me that I handle for hours at a time sitting in my sauna is 180. But, we've been as high as 235. Try handle that, I bet you southerners wouldn't last more than 5 seconds.