This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Writers: How would you feel about these things?
02-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Writers: How would you feel about these things?
Lets say, you got published and your book became a smash hit.

You start searching yourself and your book over the Internet. How would you feel about these things:

1) People started a Team [Your character] or Team [Your other character].

2) Started comparing your book to their favorite book in the whole wide world: Twilight.

3) Started calling themselves Mrs. [Your character's name].

4) Started being mean and belligerent to anyone who trashed your book.

5) Started pestering you about when the next book in your series will come out even though you JUST finished this one.

6) Started leaving awesomely fantastic reviews about your book anywhere they can, but along the lines of "OMG [Your character's name] is sooo hot. You have to read this book. It's sooo good."

7) Started being mean and belligerent to anyone who said bad things about your character.

8) Created a Twitter account and posted as your character.

9) Created a PARODY Twitter account and made fun of your character.

10) Started asking around for your real address.

11) Started showing up at EVERY reading, book signing, or public appearance you make.

12) Said they wished your character was their boyfriend because he's more real than any real-life boy.

13) Said they dreamed and thought about your character every day.

14) Said they cried because their friends talked badly about your book.

15) Waited in an hour-long line that progressed around the bookstore's corner at midnight waiting for the release of your book, and they also stood in line tearing up over it.

16) Asked where they can read or download the book for free.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 12:27 PM

You ARE a writer, aren't you? I can see your point. Even though someone might have the pleasure to see his/her book becoming a success, it's difficult seeing fans comparing it to other books, or caring only about the hot character in it. Really, I don't know how I'd feel, because I haven't been in this position, however I can fully understand that all these wouldn't satisfy me at all.

Ads

02-19-2014, 12:36 PM

I don't know how they would do this or with which characters in my current story if _that_ got published, but I think I'd find it pretty funny.

2) Started comparing your book to their favorite book in the whole wide world: Twilight.
I would cry. A lot.

If talking about the main male character of my current story: "So, you'd _like_ to be married to a bipolar alcoholic then? Well, that's just swell."

I'd think they were weird whatever though.

I'd think they should get a life. Not everyone likes everything.

5) Started pestering you about when the next book in your series will come out even though you JUST finished this one.
Be a bit flattered, I guess. I'd tell them to write their own book and see how long it takes them.

6) Started leaving awesomely fantastic reviews about your book anywhere they can, but along the lines of "OMG [Your character's name] is sooo hot. You have to read this book. It's sooo good."
I would ignore that. I'd be pretty insulted if the only reason someone liked my supposed bestseller is because a character is 'hot'.

7) Started being mean and belligerent to anyone who said bad things about your character.
I would ignore that, they should get a life. Obsessive fans would scare me ;_;

I think I'd find that funny.

I would also find this funny.

I'd lead them on a wild goose chase. Lol, no, but if they started acting creepy I'd be worried :/

11) Started showing up at EVERY reading, book signing, or public appearance you make.
Be flattered, unless they seemed creepy in doing so.

12) Said they wished your character was their boyfriend because he's more real than any real-life boy.
Again, I'd think they were an idiot. I would find this worrying if anything.

Same as above.

...also same as above.

15) Waited in an hour-long line that progressed around the bookstore's corner at midnight waiting for the release of your book, and they also stood in line tearing up over it.
Flattered - but a little creeped.

Meh - if it was a bestseller I don't think I'd mind.
02-19-2014, 12:43 PM

1) People started a Team [Your character] or Team [Your other character]. -- I'd be shocked, but not surprised. Some people are just silly... although I'd wonder what Teams they'd make out of my story.

2) Started comparing your book to their favorite book in the whole wide world: Twilight. -- I'd have to ask them why they think my story has any similarity to Twilight--romance isn't even prevalent in the story [although there are lesbian themes].

3) Started calling themselves Mrs. [Your character's name]. -- There aren't many guys who have large roles, so if there were girls who were proud enough to come out in that kind of way, I'd be a little flattered... but still creeped out.

4) Started being mean and belligerent to anyone who trashed your book. -- Some people will make arguments over anything. It's not my book but silly people.

5) Started pestering you about when the next book in your series will come out even though you JUST finished this one. -- I'd block them. XD

6) Started leaving awesomely fantastic reviews about your book anywhere they can, but along the lines of "OMG [Your character's name] is sooo hot. You have to read this book. It's sooo good." -- I'd simply sigh and move on.

7) Started being mean and belligerent to anyone who said bad things about your character. -- Again, silly people.

8) Created a Twitter account and posted as your character. -- I'd feel flattered, although a lot of people role-play online. Just look up fictional characters on Facebook. XD

9) Created a PARODY Twitter account and made fun of your character. -- I won't be surprised. A friend of mine has already *promised* to parody me if I get published.

10) Started asking around for your real address. -- I'd be creeped out, and hope they wouldn't get close.

11) Started showing up at EVERY reading, book signing, or public appearance you make. -- I'd feel a little flattered if they seemed like a fan, but creeped out if they seemed overly obsessive.

12) Said they wished your character was their boyfriend because he's more real than any real-life boy. -- I'd laugh and call the person delusional.

13) Said they dreamed and thought about your character every day. -- See above answer.

14) Said they cried because their friends talked badly about your book. -- Silly people, once again.

15) Waited in an hour-long line that progressed around the bookstore's corner at midnight waiting for the release of your book, and they also stood in line tearing up over it. -- Well, if they were that eager to read it, I'd feel giddy. Unless they were really silly...

16) Asked where they can read or download the book for free. -- Anime vein, simply put. XD
02-19-2014, 12:48 PM

You start searching yourself and your book over the Internet. How would you feel about these things:

I would be flattered that people really liked my book, but would also be horrified that they would put it in the realm of Twilight.

I'd have to be disappointed, as my first answer would concur. I wouldn't be writing it for teens; I'd be writing it for adults, so I'd have to ask myself, "What kind of people are comparing two different kinds oof literature?"

Flattering. I'd like that.

I would not want my fans to be like that. I would want my fans to be open to and respect all opinions.

I'd have some kind of time frame in mind, so it wouldn't be bothersome (to me).

I'd try to get them removed. That is not a review of a literary masterpiece.

See number 4's answer.

I'd have it removed; that is unfair. Or I'd make the account first. haha

As long as they openly announced that it was not official.

Ignore them; those are the stalkers.

Cool if they are harmless; not cool if they are a stalker.

I'd have to laugh. Because he can't be real when he isn't 3-Dimensional and made of matter.

Okay...they need a life.

Likewise, they need to respect all opinions.

See number 13's answer.

Tell them to go buy a paper copy.
02-19-2014, 12:49 PM

"I really hope I'm making a truckload of money on this."

"Well I could do a lot worse" (I really could. As long as they don't compare me to House of Night, I can take it)

"Kids..."

"I'm gonna stay away from that forum..."

I'd set up a website and write "I'm working on my net project. Stay tuned"

Again "Kids..."

Staying away from that forum too.

"I can't read that".

I'd have a good laugh.

"That's getting sorta stalkerish..."

As long as they don't show up at my real address.

I'd tell them what I always say "Paper crushes are great on paper but they would usually make terrible real life boyfriends. I had a crush on Achilles when I was young. But in real life he'd be a brute."

"er... Thanks... I guess"

"Don't darling. It's a book and I'm glad you care about my story so much, but you can't expect everyone to like it."

"Wow... I MUST be making money off this."

Reported to my publisher if they do find a place to read it for free. Just report button on whatever website they are if not.
02-19-2014, 12:55 PM

1. I'd sit back and watch the action lol... it's not like you can stop them even if you tried.
2. ... I'd like to see them try. Nothing I write will ever be anything like Twilight. I'll make sure of that. And if that happens, well... I guess I'll go right out and say that comparing my book to Twilight is like spitting in my face.
3. Laugh. If they're that invested in my characters, I think that's a pretty good achievement.
4. To be honest? I'd probably troll them and start trashing my own book anonymously online just to see how they react haha
5. Just tell them the truth. "Probably never."
6. I guess that's expected...? The majority of this world isn't educated, ya' know.
7. Same as #4
8. I'd follow them.
9. Same as above.
10. Freak out.
11. Give them a prize. Big Grin Like free autographed copies or rough drafts or something. They deserve some sort of reward for all that effort...
12. Ask them how a fictional character is more real than a real boy. I'm being serious.
13. ... tell them I know how they feel...
14. lol. Even I'm not that protective of my work. I guess I'd just tell them to chill out, since haters gon' hate. And besides, there's no book in the world that appeals to everybody.
15. Same as #11
16. Chastisement!! >:O Write a five page essay about how pirating is bad, post it on a downloading site, and trick them into thinking that it's the book. Hehe
02-19-2014, 01:02 PM

Hah, I don't think that would make much sense with my current story, but I guess it'd be funny. As long as it wasn't a war, of course. Smile

I'd make a public/Twitter/Facebook announcement dissing Twilight.

It'd be funny, I wouldn't mind.

Well, I suppose I'd say something about that not being cool. I mean, people do have their opinions.

I'm not writing a series, but if I was, I'd just say 'I don't know yet', or 'you'll see.'

Well, probably nothing. I mean, people have different ways of commenting, I suppose.

Once again, I'd tell the world that it's not cool.

Hey, it's all in good fun.

I can't stop them, so why should I bother.

Well, they probably wouldn't find it, so whatever.

Well, I suppose it'd be a little odd, but I'd try to make friends with them. Maybe they'd lose the fangirling/boying attitude.

I'd be flattered. And worried.

Check previous answer.

I'd try to make them see that it's not that serious. However, I used to be sad when someone insulted Harry Potter. I once got into a fight with a guy I knew when he insulted it.

Hey, people do that Smile

I'm okay with that, I think. I download book torrents all the time, but I think it's because I live in Serbia and can't find the original books elsewhere.
02-19-2014, 01:04 PM

- Well, there's no love triangle in my story, so I'm slightly less at risk of this. However, no matter how annoyed I might be, I would at least attempt to tolerate it. Maybe hint at my distaste for it in an interview or something, but that's it.

- *twitch* Please, spare me. I guess if a book becomes popular, this is bound to happen sooner or later. I might say something publicly about it, but very politely. I would point out the many differences between the books (no love triangle, different genres, no mythical creatures, etc.).

- Oh, goodness. Mrs. Connor, Mrs. Atwood, Mrs. Sarner... I can see it now. I would probably just shake my head sadly before moving onto something else. Fanatics will be fanatics, after all.

- As much as I love a good debate, people are and should be entitled to their own opinion. I'd just rather they say it politely. "Really? I thought that was a great idea because..." or "This character seemed flat and under-developed because..." is perfectly fine. "You *****! That was the best ******* part of the ******* book! What kind of a ******* wouldn't like that! You've got to be ******* kidding me, you ***!" is not.

- Politely point out the release date and make note of my busy schedule. "This book was just released *insert date here*. Writing is not the only thing I do in my spare time, and I need more than a few weeks to make an enjoyable sequel to *insert book title here*. I'll try to get it written and published as soon as possible, but keep in mind that my life does not revolve around this series." Something like that.

- Roll my eyes dispiritedlyedly shake my head. There must be decent reviews of my book somewhere.

- Sigh angrily. If my book ever does become a sensation (I'm not counting on it), a few readers are bound to think Caleb is a jerk or Samuel is a nuisance. Some may think that Caleb is a well-developed, albeit ruthless, character or Sam makes a nice character for comic relief. *shrugs* Just as some will be polite when expressing their opinion, and some will be... Well, as far from polite as possible.

8) Created a Twitter account and posted as your character.Role-playersyers willrole-playersyers. I wouldn't have a problem.

- As long as it's not super offensive all the time, I wouldn't mind. I'd probably think it was funny.

- Be slightly creeped out.

- To be honest, I'd probably be glad to have such a dedicated fan.

- *blink* I'd think it's a bit odd... But at least I'd know that my character was realistic!

- I wouldn't know whether to be honored or scared. Or both.

- Cried? Geez, I know some people go over the top with books, but... Wow. Unless their friends resorted to foul language or something else considered offensive, I'd be a bit surprised.

- Once again, I'd be glad to know how dedicated some fans are, although that might be overdoing it...

- "Don't they know that's probably not legal?"

That was fun! Nice question Smile Star!
02-19-2014, 01:13 PM

Hahhaa, I'd be surprised if they managed to do it with my current characters. There's really nothing to team up about...

I'd seriously consider my book a failure.

Hahahhahaha there's no way someone's retarded enough to....

Um. Yeah.

Ok, I'd laugh.

That depends. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion. If people feel offended if someone offends their favorite book, well... It's their right to defend it. I just think there should be limits. I don't want my book to be the cause of another literary war, though XD

I'd tell them (in a fine manner, of course) to shut up and ignore that type of questions. But I don't think there will be sequels to my book.

Ah well. I'd be a bit embarrassed, but that person is a fan too. An annoying one, but still...

Meh, same as 4)

*_*
Fanatic. That would be weird.

I'd follow THAT guy rather than the previous one. There's nothing like a good laugh even if it is on my account. Or in this case - my character's.
You can't please them all. And if you can't beat them - join them Big Grin

I'd be at peace. I'd publish under a pseudonym and make sure people don't know my identity so it would be difficult for them to find me. But the thought alone kind of scares me Undecided

Ok, let's say I'd make public appearances. I'd just assume the person is a fan. I'd probably be a little scared, though. Maybe my fear would be justified, maybe it wouldn't. It certainly sounds a little too much. To act like that person, I mean.

*_*
I wouldn't know whether I should take that as a compliment or be seriously concerned about the person's mental health.

Ok, I'd be seriously concerned about the person's mental health. It's called obsession. It's not good when it's about real people and it's certainly not good when it's about people who don't even exist.
Maybe I'd advise them to write a fan-fiction story. Maybe that way they could get it out of their head and get over with it.
On the other hand, it could become even worse -.-

*slap* Get a grip!

It would also feel weird. But not because it would be my book they'd wait for. I find that whole concept ridiculous. There's nothing I can do about it. People do that. I don't know why, but they do.

Ok. I wouldn't have nothing against it, but publishers probably would. Unless it was licensed or something. I'm not really sure how it goes. I'd probably be glad because they want to read it.