This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
can my parents control what i post on social media sites?
10-14-2012, 10:20 AM
can my parents control what i post on social media sites?
(twitter, facebook)
I'm a good kid and im 15 btw. I want to be able to swear on social networking, my parents get all mad and such, yet they give me permission to swear while rapping (im a girl also) and im allowed to swear to friends.
are they allowed to tell me what i can and cant post?
In Canada we have freedom of speech soo..

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2012, 10:28 AM

As long as you're living in their house and you're legally under their care then yes, they can...

Do they know you have a twitter? I migrated from Facebook to Twitter because my parents have facebook and it's no fun having to censor everything I say. My parents don't know I have a twitter so I can really say whatever I want.

Ads

They're your parents...so yes. Swearing isn't that important though..

My mom is the same way IMO no they shouldn't

Well, at the end of the day, they ARE your parents and they DO have the right to control what you say considering they are responsible for you. Now if you mean going on your twitter or facebook page and altering your settings and controlling what you put out there like that, that's a completely different story. But to my understanding, they can and are technecally supposed to be in contol.

well i guess legally they're not allowed to controll what you say but as parents they're allowed to set certain rules. i know it may seem strange but they're probably just worried about the image swearing holds especially when its on something like social networking sites when other family members and other people with judgment can see. i know it may seem like the most annoying thing someone could say but i think you should just go along with what your parents say - you dont NEED to swear and it doesn't mean much. also it may be better for you because i dont really swear (just the way i've been raised also) and all my friends (mainly the boysTongue) say that they like it and they respect me a lot more than other people who do swear. so just see it as a positive!

Freedom of speech doesn't apply in a parent/minor child relationship. They have every right to censor what language you use on a social networking site.

Heck, they have every right to say, "If you don't abide by our rules regarding these social networking sites, we'll make it a non-issue by not allowing you to have accounts on those sites in the first place."

You don't have all of the rights you think you do when you're a minor -- common misconception among teens.

Yes. They are your parents, so they can and should. They are just protecting you. Just remember that when you apply for a job they check your facebook, twitter, ect. and read everything you post.

Be careful of what you post, because it's out there!

I'm 15 and swear, but swearing in social networking just looks like you have a temper and are looking for a fight or attention. Plus, you can swear when you IM people, so why would you need to swear on a status?

If you're swearing at someone on a status, it just makes you look like a coward, like you're hiding behind a screen. If you want to swear at someone, do it in real life! Then your parents won't know and you don't look like a coward.

Your parents are given control over you until the age of 18 so YES they can.

That doesn't mean they should or shouldn't. But each parent will parent their child the way they feel is best.

Freedom of Speech doesn't mean it is ok for you to cuss all the time and swear.

If there was a kid who lives down the road from you and stood outside your home but across the street and started screaming out things like "Lily stinks! Lily is ugly. Lily likes to kiss little boys and not men. Lily is lies. Lily sleeps with her mommy." plus other rude things. Would let him get away with this because CANADA HAS FREE SPEECH TOO??

I seriously doubt it. You'd most likely want to hit him to make shut up. But what if his mom let him do it? What if they gave him permission to do it? Does that still make it right?

People toss around the free speech law yet they don't understand everything they are talking about.

Your parents may get embarrassed when you swear on the media sites.