This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do so-called 'educated' people say, "The social media is a big factor...."?
02-19-2014, 12:26 PM
Why do so-called 'educated' people say, "The social media is a big factor...."?
The reason I used the adjective 'educated' is because I saw a comment on a website for book editors written by a book editor that used the construction, "The social media is a big factor in the spread of e-books." Now, I could see making an argument that you could put all the social media in one lump and consider 'it' one big thing, but social media include e-mail, blogs, facebook, myspace, just about everything on the internet, so to me it doesn't make sense to lump them together. The word "media" is plural.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 12:31 PM

Custom-and-usage has long since accepted "media" as singular in some contexts, so it's a bit late to complain. It goes back at least 50 years. From the Oxford English Dictionary:

==quote==
1959 Albuquerque (New Mexico) Tribune 7 May 2/5 We feel the entertainment media has a monopoly on these available frequencies. 1968 Hobbs (New Mexico) Daily News-Sun 14 Aug. 27/1 The news media's reluctance to clean its own house. 1972 Times 19 July 13/6 Miss Allen seems to be under the impression that the media is confined to newspapers.
==unquote==

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply