This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A dog followed me home?
02-19-2014, 12:28 PM
A dog followed me home?
I live out in the country, and there aren't that many houses around. Anyways, my cousin and I were riding down the road on our horses, and about halfway to the trail we were heading to we looked back to check for cars and saw a small dog following us. We didn't think much about it, and figured if it lived nearby it would eventually go home. Yeah, it didn't. It followed us the rest of the way to the trail(which is a quarter mile away from our houses), down the trail a little ways, and all the way back to our house. There are only about 5 or so houses in between the trail and our houses, and the people at the house closest to us said it wasn't theirs. On the way back home, the dog didn't even really look at any of the houses, and neither me or my cousin have ever seen the dog at any of the houses. We have only seen the dog a few times, the first time being about two or three weeks ago. The dog(a girl) is really skittish, but very sweet once she gets to know you. Anyways, I didn't want to leave a potentially stray dog loose running around especially since we might have an ice storm tonight, so I lured her close with a treat and put a leash on her and put her in a small dog pen with some food and water and a dog house. She has a leather collar on, but I didn't find any info on it, and it looks kind of old and dried out. We also put a picture of her and our info on Facebook to see if anyone recognizes her, but no one has answered so far. If no one claims her then I plan on keeping her. What should I do with her for now incase someone claims her? My parents want to turn her loose and see if she goes back home, but I dont want her to run off if she doesn't belong to anyone, you know? What should I do? Will putting her picture on Facebook work?
Also, what should I do if no one on Facebook recognizes her, but she still belongs to someone? I dont want to steal someone elses dog on accident...
Also, what should I do if no one on Facebook recognizes her, but she still belongs to someone? I dont want to steal someone elses dog on accident...
Also, I forgot to add, the times we have seen her she was running around in our grandparents' large cattle fields or at my cousin's house sniffing around. (Our three houses are close together, but except for the one that we already checked, the others are all a pretty good distance away.)
just to make it clear, I do have three other dogs. If you would also look at my other questions, you would know I am working with them on ALL of that. I am taking them for long walks DAILY. I have been border training in the yard with them for the past 3 weeks using dog training flags, and I worked with them so that they ignore all the other animals. The way that I set up the borders, they cant get anywhere near the driveway/road. Also, I am putting up pictures of her on Facebook, Instagram, etc. DAILY.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 12:33 PM

Call the local police, sheriff, dog pound and humane society, you can even bring her down to one of the places to check for a microchip. If she is not chipped and nobody claims her it would be up to your parents if they want to keep her.

You should make every effort to try and find her owner, how would you feel if your dog got lost and never returned to you?

Good luck

Ads

02-19-2014, 12:42 PM

I would put ads up and say found dog
But make sure that they show evidence that it is their dog
Put an add in the newspaper
And I no one come to take him home then it&#x27;s better off with you any way
Make it comfortable because that dog likes you so be sure to give it a good home and he will pay you back with loyalty:
02-19-2014, 12:43 PM

Call the nearest animal shelter and ask them if anyone has been looking for a dog that matches this little dog.
I know that if I lost my dog, I would go to any animal shelter and knock on every door trying to find him.
It's a very sad truth that when people decide they no longer want their dog, they take the dog out in a rural area and just drop it in the middle of a field or even on the road.
I would keep her. I would first call around and if the shelter isn't on alert for the dog, I would think that she was dropped off somewhere.
I'm glad that you found her and will give her a nice home and a lot of love.
02-19-2014, 12:46 PM

I would follow H's advice, and add to call the local vets. I've returned several dogs to their owners this way. A couple of times when its been a rare breed locally the vet has recognised one of their own clients!
02-19-2014, 12:50 PM

You can't keep it.

The dog clearly has an onwer and needs to be returned to that owner. Keeping a dog you just found is considered to be theft since dogs are property.

You have three dogs,. none of which are trained at all and you keep them all locked up in small cages 24\7 becouse your panrts, or so you claim, won't put up even a small fence. And they escape all the time ad run the neighborhood, chase cars which means it only a matter of time before they are ran over, le them chase live stock, Having FOURTH dog you will allow to roam, chase livestock and be ran over is a bad idea

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?...039AADrbQl

"no one claims her then I plan on keeping her."

Again you have THREE dogs you let roam, chase cars, chase livestock, kill cats and the like. You do no need t steal someone's dog.

You need to take the dog the dog to the nearest shelter and along with the other dogs. They deserve an owner who won't let them roam to be ran over or keep them in small cages