This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Boyfriend wants to be a part of my start-up. HELP!?
02-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Boyfriend wants to be a part of my start-up. HELP!?
I am extremely independent by nature and my boyfriend is ex-marine special forces and super team oriented. I am in my early twenties and he is 16 years older than me.
We met working as project managers at the same company which eventually folded. Now we both work for ourselves, but we are each only making enough to tide us over until we decide our next major career move. We talked about starting a business together and even placed our start-up capital in to a joint account. However we decided the idea wasn't as great as we thought and have since withdrawn the money. Now he does handy man work and I am a nanny.

I have a great idea for a business that I want to start and run for myself. I am very excited about it. I haven't even started working on it yet, though, because I know as soon as he finds out about my idea he is going to take it and act as though it half belongs to him. This pisses me off, to be honest. Being so independent, I want my own thing. I feel that it's my idea, my company, and I don't need/want to hire anyone else yet. I don't want him a part of it at all, honestly. I'm not sure if I'm just being greedy or if I am right for feeling this way.

When I bring up the idea that I am hoping to start a business (as he is trying to start a contracting business) he talks about how it's great and since what's his is mine, mine is his. He says that me making money benefits him because we plan to marry anyway. But I don't like this. I think everyone should pull their own weight, and not take from someone else. He talks about how I could run the office like it would be "our business" and I tell him I don't want to be in the contracting business... then it goes back to what's good for you is good for me and vice versa. He is great at making me feel guilty. I think our age gap comes in to play here. He has been married twice and I know that he always supported his ex-wives when they weren't working, so he just thinks that's how it goes sometimes... and yeah, I can see that, but we arent married, and I will need years before we do marry, if we do.

Also, I don't like his ideas. I wouldn't hire him. He is a fantastic salesman, but when it comes to the business side of things, not so much. Honestly his age factors in here, he knows nothing about the internet, websites, social media, etc. and I am always stuck building his website for free, Facebook page, handling online advertising, etc. It bothers me.

I should add that I really do love him deeply. But wanting me to share the business with him has led me to seriously contemplate moving. I even have another job lined up across country if I want it starting next week. HELP.

Is it just me? Am I in the wrong here?

How do I tell him to butt the hell out, without hurting his feelings or being jerk myself?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 12:32 PM

Whether or not he's going to be hurt entirely depends on him. But you know what you have to do- your business isn't going to be successful if your partner isn't good.

Personally if I was the guy I would understand, but I suspect military type guys are macho and might not like it.

Ads

02-19-2014, 12:36 PM

U can tell him any way U want to cause he&#x27;s not going to listen !!! U are experiencing why he comes with 2 prior divorces !!!!! Take that job and get the hell out of there while you can !!!!!!
02-19-2014, 12:36 PM

Just tell him that you appreciate his interest and desire to help but that you want this to be something that is yours and that you accomplish on your own.

If he can't support you in your goals, then it might be time to reconsider the relationship.