This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
do you know a site that says from which book famous quotes come from?
10-14-2012, 11:17 AM
do you know a site that says from which book famous quotes come from?
or do you know from what book this quotes came:

I was part of that strange race of people aptly described as spending their lives doing things they detest, to make money they don't want, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they dislike
Emile Henry Gauvreau

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
Friedrich Nietzsche

The more the world of merchandise shines, along with the worth of commodities, the less the human being is worth and matters.
Che

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Jiddu Krishnamurti

You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy.
Eric Hoffer

He who cannot give anything away cannot feel anything either.
Friedrich Nietzsche

“The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.”
Malcolm X

You show me a capitalist, and I'll show you a bloodsucker.
Malcolm X

That is the secret of happiness and virtue -- liking what you've got to do. All conditioning aims at that: making people like their unescapable social destiny.
Aldous Huxley

All media exist to invest our lives with artificial perceptions and arbitrary values.
Marshall McLuhan

Public opinion can be influential, the media can be influential.
Noam Chomsky

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2012, 11:25 AM

The first quote attributed to Nietzsche is actually from Rudyard Kipling, per http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?...008AAWhiJB

It's fairly difficult to identify the source of a particular quote, but that one didn't sound like Nietzsche, so I poked around online.

You might start with the best-known works of each person and seek quotes from that work, looking for the ones you want to source.

Ads

10-14-2012, 11:25 AM

Wikiquote is usually worth a try for this sort of requirement. It's like Wikipedia, but for quotations instead of encyclopaedic knowledge. It's organised by person, and generally gives the source of the quotation - so if the person is a writer and first said the quote in one of their books, it tells you which book.