This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Does fierce competition create anxiety and hostility?
10-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Does fierce competition create anxiety and hostility?
Could the increase in social anxiety in recent years have anything to do with the fact that we live in a fiercely competitive society? American capitalist society is so darwinian and leaves more losers than winners; sadistic competition in all fields-job markets, academics, physical appearance. Primetime TV is mostly competition based where the losers are told: You can't sing!, you're not hot enough! It's revolting. Anxiety disorders in general have increased in recent years and I have a firm conviction that competition is tied to this. U.S culture and middle class values are obsessed with the idea of Winners, I have felt especially pressured to succeed academically. Anyone agree?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2012, 11:46 AM

Agree. There is an increasing emphasis on the ego - the concept of separateness from which all fear and negativity emanates. This is a necessary polar shift to realize the illusion of the universe of duality in which we live, and is necessary in order to be able to experience that which is, in the space of that which is not. How can light be appreciated, known and experienced if there is no darkness? It is like telling a fish "its a bit wet in here isn't it?" In a higher reality, all is One

Ads

10-14-2012, 11:46 AM

Yes, of course it does. It all stems from one lot of people taking it upon themselves to tell the rest of us how we should live - be competitive, somehow if we don't choose to beat everyone else there is something wrong with us - mad?

I dance along the road to my I-pod - the other day a woman poked me on my arm and asked if I realized how stupid I looked! Cheek.

I said "Oh good, that's what I was aiming for" - that upset her. What gave the idea that she shd tell me these things and why would she think I care anyway? Rude woman.

My old gran always said if you can't say anything nice to someone - say nothing.

Don't judge - just accept.

Life's difficult enough without other idiots deciding we are not good enough.

So - take no notice - do your own thing and .........BE HAPPY!

Good luck with your life

Mo PS I don't even think Darwin could have imagined how his "survival of the fittest" wld be interpreted today.