This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I lost my friends cause i dont use facebook?
02-19-2014, 12:32 PM
I lost my friends cause i dont use facebook?
Im 15, a guy, and i've had a rough life. I grew up with strict parents who were mean. My brother is a dick too (hes older). I had a skin condition when i was younger and people always noticed it and i felt insecure. By the 5th grade it started clearing up and i had a bunch of friends. I graduated and transferred to a middle school kinda far from my elementary school (thanks to my parents -_-) and had to "restart" my life. I made friends gradually in middle school and eventually knew everybody. I was nice to people because no one ever was when i was young. Im in high school now, and i know lots of people but not closely, like i don't actually know them personally i just talk to them. I want to use facebook, instagram, all that, but:
1. I'm shy because of my previous insecurities when i was younger.
2. Im worried my middle and elementary school friends won't remember me and not accept my friend requests on facebook.
3. I don't want to end up with 100 something facebook friends while everyone i know has like 800 to 2,000 friends because they are all so outgoing.
4. I hate taking pictures of myself.

Also, my brother thinks i have no friends and it hurts, emotionally. I have many close friends but i don't see them anymore. I have maybe 50-60 close friends, but we aren't in touch much anymore. I met up with a few a couple weeks ago and they missed me.. I don't know why i can't get myself to just go on facebook and take an hour to add people. I just want something to do in life besides school and video games and other stupid things +sports which i love playing. I'm not someone who takes it seriously, the only other thing i've used is Aim, and that died out in 2009. I just want to catch up and reconnect/ build stronger relationships with my friends, what do i do? I don't think i can just do it right away, i may need some time but mostly your advice guys!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 12:42 PM

Dude it's alright to have that much friends!! Some of my friends have only like 100-200 friends because they don't just ADD people they just asked for gum or a pencil ! And because you are new to Facebook, in the timeline it says ( BORN ) and the date you made your Facebook account. It's okay to have a few friends on Facebook when you just made one. And for the adding part, add them! Message them too like ( Oh hey you went to middle school with me lol ) and they WILL add you. Don't add them randomly, some can be like " Who are you?" -__- and that pretty awkward bro.

And keeping Facebook is good because you keep all the close friends you knew ! Your friends list will grow as you go to college , highschool, become an adult etc. you just gotta give it time. It would of been better getting a Facebook as a middle schooler but its alright heh

Ads

02-19-2014, 12:51 PM

50-60 close friends? wow! Ever hear Chris Rock? "I didn't have 6 friends in High School, I don't have 6 friends now."

facebook is not real friendship. it's not a big deal either. most people don't have pictures of themselves on fb. Outgoing people don't have to have facebook friends because they do real stuff. Facebook is more of a tool to help you keep in touch with those old friends and to communicate with current ones. Sounds like you are in good shape bud. plus, you end up making a lot of new friends throughout your life.
02-19-2014, 12:57 PM

The legally preferred term for your condition is privacy concerned.
Sure there is value in having/keeping friends but you really only need to be able to fully trust one other person, or two but not thousands of friends like the most vocal facebook users claim, that's not realistic.
People who value their privacy will be prized in the future, hope you take up advocating for yourself and stick up for privacy rights. But keep in mind, having physical friends keeps you sane.
02-19-2014, 01:00 PM

1) you can talk online and get to know people better without them judging you by looks they will know your personality first.
2) It doesnt matter if people remember you or not they are in the past and if you were important to them they will remember you.
3) facebook isnt about the quantity of friends you have but the quality a small group of close friends is better than a large group of fake friends
4) You dont need to take pics of yourself thats by choice you can even grab a cartoon picture off google to put as your profile picture.

It doesnt matter what your brother thinks.. as you said he is a d*ck. If you think facebook can help you reconnect with friends then why not give it a trial go? if it doesnt work out you can simply disable the account and if you like it carry on
Good Luck x
02-19-2014, 01:04 PM

facebook friend are not real friends you can do thing with...get a real life with real friends..facebook is not the answer..
there is lots of time to make real friends in your life.
02-19-2014, 01:11 PM

Sorry - this does not make any sense - if you are too shy to start using facebook how is it you are bearing your soul on here ?
I have 4 people on facebook who are the ones I really want to share things with and 60 who are on my email contacts and a few on friendsreunited ( from school).
i get loads of requests to friend people I do not know but what I would say to them ?
I value my close friends where I can just pop in to spend time and a drink but it is great to strike up a conversation in the street or shop with a complete stranger.
In other words friendship is not measured by the number of people you collected on Facebook
You seem to be getting on fine - stop worrying
02-19-2014, 01:12 PM

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that you were teased in school before. Happy that you have over come that situation.. Secondly, take the time out to better yourself and make yourself stronger mentally, Facebook can be a very cruel world sometimes and from the sound of it your a pretty good kid..there are some kids( teens) take advantage of others feelings and emotions. I use to have a Facebook page as well because it was the only way to connect with my old friends who had moved away to other states or simply lost contact with me. I was always nice to others as well and very popular but preffered to keep my circle very small. I had to learn that you actually don't need friends on the end. As I got older, I'm 28 now, I realized that my family was all I ever really needed and it took for my"friends" to betray me or let me down or not treat me as I would treat them for me to realize it.
First, if you do decide to have a FB page get your parents permission first. Secondly, make sure ur only befriending people that are genuine friends to you to avoid any negativity. And if anyone is causing trouble to ur life let someone know. Good luck!