This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
what to do if u have no privacy?
02-19-2014, 12:33 PM
what to do if u have no privacy?
My parents search my room for anything innapropriate. Diaries have been read, phone checked, tracking device. My parents do everything. I've tried talking to them about trusting me or privacy but they just make up excuses. Like we'll if we don't check this or read your magazines than you'll be 16 and pregnant. And the thing is I'm only 13!!! I can't have a boyfriend or Facebook . I just wish that I could do something. I've never done anything for my parents not to trust me. I'm a straight "A" student , never gotten in trouble in school . I feel like I'm caged in with cameras all around me . A lot of people say they want to be 18 to get away from parents for little things but I can't stand 5 more years at home.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 12:33 PM

Since you are a minor, your parents can really do whatever they want. Of course, unless it's illegal. But invading your privacy is not illegal. I would just ask your parents to have a serious talk. Tell them your getting older and there's things you want to keep private. Ask them if they would want to have there privacy invaded when they were your age. Make them feel the way you do, No i'm no saying dig through their drawers! Just talk to them and make them remember when they were your age. Hope this helped Smile good luck!

Ads

02-19-2014, 12:40 PM

your parents are just trying to protect you,
and since ur so well behaved they r prolly trying to keep u that way
02-19-2014, 12:47 PM

Are you dressing like a whore? If you was my kid is let you get knocked up so you could enjoy hell
02-19-2014, 12:57 PM

You might try talking to your guidance counselor at your school, and use the word 'abuse'. Perhaps he or she would be willing to call your parents in and give them a serious talking to.
02-19-2014, 01:01 PM

Your parents are going a little overboard and they should allow you some privacy. What you could do is speak with your church pastor (if you go to church). Explain to him/her what is going on and ask him to have a talk with your parents about allowing you some privacy. Or your school counselor.
If that doesn't work for you, sit down with your parents and have a long talk with them. Tell them you know they love you and they are trying to be protective of you, but you do want some privacy. Keep talking to them until you are blue.
It made be hard for you to understand, but some kids don't have parents at all. Some kids don't have parents that care about them at all...but it is true.
I am not saying they are right...but they do love you....that is very important. Just keep that in mind.
If you don't have anything to hide...then there is nothing to worry about.
Just be very patient...perhaps they will change in time.
02-19-2014, 01:10 PM

Nearly all of the parents I know do this, only they don't tell the kid they're doing it.
02-19-2014, 01:14 PM

It must be awful to feel this way, but if you read through a lot of stuff on Yahoo!Answers, you'll see a lot of kids in real trouble. Your parents are trying very hard to make sure your safe, in the only way they know how.

Ask them to sit down with you, and point out that you;re a good student, and so far you've made good choices. Then ask them if you could perhaps find some middle ground.

You *should* stay off FaceBook - they don't even keep things private they promise will be. I'm not on it, and I'm an adult. Other kids also have a tendency to post things on your page that shouldn't be anywhere - so that's out.

Ask your parents if you could have a weekly meeting - maybe Thursday dinner - to talk about what has been going on that week.

Ask them if you could have a paper diary - where you could express yourself - and if there was any actual reason they were scared something was up, you would let them read through it. But unless and until they felt there was a problem, you should be able to have someplace to record your own thoughts, where you knew they wouldn't be read. There should be plenty of other signs that there might be trouble, and you should ask if they would just ask you about them rather than feel they have to snoop.

SO long as you are happy and healthy, and you have a plan in place so they can check if they are worried, you should certainly have the right to ask for your own space. Just make sure they know you are willing to show them if they are worried about something, after they ask, and that you will ask for help if you have a problem.

If you start having a weekly meeting with them for this purpose - and always set that aside- they may lighten up. Stand up for yourself, but let them know you understand they are trying to keep you safe. Don't argue - just ask firmly, and let them know you are their daughter - and they have raised you to be honest, smart, and you'll ask if you aren't sure of something.

Good luck - you deserve this.
02-19-2014, 01:16 PM

A lot of times, it doesn't work to talk to your parents about things, especially things that they feel they need absolute control over. And like you said already, they keep making up excuses.

Everyone knows that strict parents raise rebels. It was the same way with my mom and my grandpa. He was way too strict and controlling, and paced around waiting for her to arrive from school every day. My mom resorted to lying just to hang out with her friends, and was caught and punished. She makes sure that I have clear boundaries and rules but she isn't "strict." It is an appropriate level.

Hmm...
- If you resort to lying or sneaking around their very strict ways, you're very likely to get caught. You might not get caught. But if you do get caught, they will be double or triple as strict.
- You could wait it out, even if it seems really hard to do.

Some parents (at church and stuff) come up to me and tell me, "Hey, I have a daughter named _____ she's over there. Can you talk to her?" This has happened to me a few times. They say it because I'm trustworthy, great grades, play a few instruments, have a good reputation, etc. If I was your friend in real life, we could've hung out. Parents trust me anyways, lol.

So why not find a friend that your parents trust? You could spend more and more time away from home and more time with your friend. Just be sure that the friend is trustworthy and doesn't run off and tell your parents about your conversations.

I hope everything goes well. It probably will. Smile Never be rebellious, there's never a good outcome.
02-19-2014, 01:21 PM

What can you do about it? All you can do is continue to be a "good girl" and prove to them that you are not like the numerous losers and sleazy girls that do get in trouble that are so prevalent in our society. When you graduate from college or university free from harm, not pregnant or with child, you will thank them for caring so much.