This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to approach other people?
02-19-2014, 12:33 PM
How to approach other people?
So basically I go to watch my football (soccer) team most Saturdays. I'm 15 and there are plenty of people my age who I think I'd get on with. I've always stood on my own or with my dad, but now as I'm getting older, I want to get to know other people and hopefully become friends with them. I've spoken to a few on twitter but I don't know how to approach them in real life. I'm not the most confident... So any advice? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 12:36 PM

Watch the movie "I Love You Man"
It talks about trying to meet platonic, male friends.

But it should be easier for you, because you're only 15.
I suggest taking a ball and asking them if they want to kick. God knows how many friends I made doing that.

Ads

02-19-2014, 12:45 PM

the best way to make a convosation is to start with a question like: that was a really good goal do you play football yourself? then introduce yourself. carry it on from there with more convosation straters like have you come here with anyone?
02-19-2014, 12:49 PM

Do you have any mutual friends? It's always easier to talk to someone when you're not alone, I don't know why, but it just is. If not, it doesn't matter too much. If they've spoken to you on twitter, and haven't acted rude or rejected you on there, chances are they won't in real life! I hate to use this phrase because it is so, /so/ over used but, honestly, you only live once. The worst that can happen is they brush you off and you don't try to talk to them again, but that is very very unlikely. If they win a game just go up and congratulate them, ask who they're playing next game, etc etc. Anything you can think of is fine, even if it's extremely random!
Good luck Smile
02-19-2014, 12:52 PM

It's good to stand on your own but being with other people (especially with people that have the same interests as you) is never a bad thing! I know where you're coming from, when I made my soccer team I didn't know any of the other girls. BUT I did have my confidence bc I am also a runner. I would lead the running drills in practices and at tryouts. They respected me and we all became friends, they even supported me not only in soccer but for track too.

So if confidence is what you're having trouble with, my advice would be to run! Not only does it boast your confidence but also gives you an advantage on the field. You'll run faster and go longer, and take the lead in drills and in the game!

So if you decide to start running (which you definitely should!) and you need some tips or advice you can always shoot me an e-mail : soccer.sa.97@gmail.com

Hope this helps!
02-19-2014, 12:56 PM

A few ideas:

1. If you walk up to where people are standing, just make some small sensible comment with no expectation of getting more than a short reply, but if anything happens afterwards in the game you can continue with another one. Some people will not be very receptive, but others be quick to talk, but don't try and keep a conversation going.

2. If you are around someone who doesn't seem talkative, wait until you can think of something sensible and genuine to say. Even extremely quiet people will respond to that sort of thing if they can sense that there is no pressure to fully engage.