This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
why do carolina dogs cost so much?
02-19-2014, 12:33 PM
why do carolina dogs cost so much?
Aren't they just pariahs like the free roaming dogs of india?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 12:36 PM

because its direing and gorgeous and cleaver.

Ads

02-19-2014, 12:37 PM

Yes, they are. They cost so much because they are a rare breed and there are only a few breeders in the US. They charge a rediculous amount. However true CDs are not bred. They are found in animal services, scared and misunderstood. Most are euthanized because they are deemed unadoptable. The shelters have no idea they have endangered american history in their hands.

If you are interested in a CD and understand primitive breeds, I'll be happy to help you find one in a shelter.

Edit** obviously as you read below there are always people that want to claim superior knowledge of the breed, especially throwing out Dr. Brisbin's name to prove credibility. Of course the only dogs that can be registered are approved/recognized by Brisbin. However, there are a number of us, the posters below included, that have extensive knowledge and can make a pretty darn good guess as to if a dog in animal services is a possible CD. But yes, the only way to get a papered dog is to buy from a breeder. I, however, would rather save a dog from a shelter and give them a chance when they would have had none. Because, technically, line breeding CDs is not conserving anything. The second you take away natural selection in a pariah breed they become just another breed. I would also wonder why these two individuals joined yahoo groups just to preach on this post. Come on, now. We are all grown ups here.
02-19-2014, 12:41 PM

Some clarification is in order. Carolina Dogs are both pariahs and an actual breed as recognized by the UKC and ARBA. Many of the wild dogs were caught by Dr. I. Lehr Brisbin who discovered the breed living wild in South Carolina and other areas. Dogs can still be found in the wild and sometimes in shelters as well. If you get a dog from the wild or a shelter you will not know for sure if it is a real Carolina Dog or not. Some people would have you believe that they can tell you if it is a real one or not. Unless you are speaking to Dr. Brisbin himself, the opinion will be just that, an opinion. Dr. Brisbin "owns' the open registry and is the only official expert to determine if any dog is a 'true' Carolina Dog.

I have heard rumors that at least one breeder ha charged up to $3000 for dogs. This is not the norm. Most that I am familiar with charge about the same as for any AKC dog, $800 or less. You might even get one for free on occasion from Dr. Brisbin if he has a litter available. He never charges for them because of wanting to save the breed from extinction. He will of course expect you not to spay or neuter the animal to ensure the breed moving forward as they are a real rare breed.

Be careful of claims as the rescue scene is full of "experts" and "Carolina Dogs".

If you have a Facebook account check out the Carolina Dog History and Research page and ask around about litters. If not, let me know and I can get you touch with multiple breeders with registered Carolina Dogs.
02-19-2014, 12:43 PM

Thanks for that clarification Crow! Carolina Dog misinformation is an ever growing problem. Dr, Brisbin has expressed his concern about this issue and in a recent news interview referring to rescue dogs he said “they can call them anything they like, but they will not have papers”. There are breeders that work with Dr. Brisbin and some that do not, some have bred a single litter others more. Making back handed remarks about UKC bred dogs is uncalled for. There are NO Carolina Dog puppy mills and it is very expensive to keep and maintain a pack of them. That comes after you have spent thousands of fencing/construction dollars. It cost money to offer these wonderful animals to the public and I will never recover the money I have spent helping to conserve the dogs that Dr. Brisbin has deemed to be Carolina Dogs, but I ask what would be wrong with it if I could break even? Who works for nothing and gives their assets away? If you think you have a possible CD it should never get that title unless you petition Dr. Brisbin and it comes from him. The proven Carolina Dog community wants to identify new blood through Dr. Brisbin, but it does not need dogs being sent out representing the breed that have been deemed Carolina Dog by people that have only self appointed authority to do so.