This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Would you like to see social security privatized and based on the stock market?
10-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Would you like to see social security privatized and based on the stock market?
This was a plan touted by the Bush administration.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2012, 12:31 PM

That would not have worked all that well during the past 10 years--about 3% annual return. It would have made a lot of stock brokers wealthy though. I would have preferred to have had the money and invested it myself. As it is I feel like I am getting the shaft but that's ok. I know my money is supporting a lot of folks lying about their disabilities.

Ads

Heck no! But I would have been ok with having a PERSONAL social security account, with MY benefits invested in Treasuries... not just thrown into the general pool of money for just anybody to collect from.

I don't understand why Americans are so blind to the principle that some things - those for the common good - should be public operations.

taking care of the vulnerable in society is good for all in that society - often because, at one time or another, nearly everyone is vulnerable.

even those areas where private enterprise is likely the best model, strong public regulation means that everyone plays on the same field, without spoiling it for everyone else.

the "free" market that y'all used to love has brought you to your knees - and pretty soon you'll have communists with their hand on the top of your head guiding you to repay what you borrowed.

you didn't get everything wrong but the whole world can't understand why things like universal heath care make so many of you get so angry.
you just need to start taking care of the weaker people and stop giving every right and every dollar to corporations.

As much as I "believe" in investing, I would have to say no. Most people can't understand simple interest, never mind stocks! I think too many people would invest unwisely and we (or the next generation) would end up bailing out these people anyway. And Muncie is right, the last few years and the present volatility would have made this plan a disaster, had it been implemented.

Even if limits, such as restricting investment only to AAA to A rated investments, had been a feature of the plan, it still would have been a disaster since the rating agencies failed us all so badly re: MBSs, CDOs, etc. Arrrgh! >-<

JMO....

"privatized"..Is Code for ..Pass the Blame of failure on someone else,..failure they're rooting for...The first step in the demise of a Plan they would rather see gone, never mind Grand Maw depends on it, and She was their Angel investor ,helped us get where we are.

"We want Social Security to Wither(Die) on the Vine"

And we should know the dangers of letting other People manage your money that get a commission, and no incentive.

The Stock Market couldn't handle that Big of influx of new ,money at one time..It would effect Share Price..Just one Mutual Fund Company can adversely effect a stock,..if they make major swings in buy and sell.
And it says one of 2 things about ruBushto,..He's a two-faced crook, or he's an Ignorant Idiot.
Then What about the government without that Float of money that went in a general fund, that's no longer there.That they use..They take in more than they dish out.