This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how long can a dcfs case be?
02-19-2014, 12:36 PM
how long can a dcfs case be?
Dcfs placed my da with my mom. Its been 2 years and now the want to give her to my mom for adoption. They haven't even gave me and my husband week ends w her alone.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 12:37 PM

By federal law, they can move to terminate your parental rights if your child has been out of your home for 18 of the previous 22 months.

There's a Facebook group dedicated to helping parents learn to navigate the child protection system and how to represent themselves in court. If you're on Facebook, join the page of the American Family Rights Association. They may be able to offer some useful advice.

Ads

02-19-2014, 12:39 PM

If you can afford it..get a lawyer.
02-19-2014, 12:48 PM

Has your worker had regular meetings with you, outlining what you need to do in order to get visits with your daughter? Have you been doing those things, but still are being denied visits?

For instance, let's say it was ongoing drug use that led to your daughter being removed from your home - have you stayed clean these past two years, but you still have not had a visitation?

If you are complying with what you are told you need to do to get her back and you still aren't getting visits, you need a lawyer.. If you cannot afford one, talk to Legal Aid.
02-19-2014, 12:51 PM

At 2 years they would start pushing for the case to be moved to adoption in most areas.

Visits go like this-
supervised
unsupervised
overnights
You have to earn unsupervised visits by following the case plan, being appropriate, passing parenting & drug classes....and whatever else they asked of you. If you have never gotten weekends then you must not be following your case plan.