This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How much does a social worker make on average in NY?
10-14-2012, 03:23 PM
How much does a social worker make on average in NY?
I have a BA in psychology and was thinking of continuing onto social work but am worried about the salary. I was also considering school psychology but is there really a job market out there for that field? I like helping people and am looking for a rewarding profession while still being able to support my family.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2012, 03:31 PM

I don't know about school psychology, but I can tell you that social work is a very low paying job.

People who go into social work go into it because they enjoy the job and like to help people, but they absolutely do not go into it for the money...

Ads

About $57,000 give or take a few thousand.

Just like with any job and field it depends on the setting you work, experience and degree for salary ranges. There can be not for profit jobs that pay $25,000.....then there are healthcare jobs that pay $50,000.....mental health jobs that pay $45,000......it depends on various factors! Indeed is a really good job search that will shed some light on the job market in NY for social workers, salaries and degree requirements. http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=social+worker&l=NY

Some people will automatically think social workers don't get paid well, however that is a myth. Salary depends on the setting and the job. There are current VA jobs for licensed clinical social workers that start out, for example at $68,000. There are healthcare jobs that pay anywhere from $40,000 to $50,000. It all depends on experience, degree level, licensure level and the setting and job.

Not all schools have school psychologists, so if you are not able to relocate...then the more refined your degree the more likely you won't be able to find a job easily. Sometimes more broad degrees are more versatile in those situations.....when you think how many schools are there in a certain radius. And some schools share school social workers and school counselors. Some positions are part time only as well.

As degree requirements are increasing, salaries are not increasing with those degree requirements unfortunately. Ten years ago, if someone had a Masters degree for example, they were hot stuff. Nowadays, the Masters degree has become the new Bachelors degree. And the BA degree has become the new highschool diploma.

If you do decide to pursue your MSW, I would definitely encourage you to get the highest level of licensure possible because that will make you more marketable in the future job market. Most states requires clinical supervision for approximately two years, but you would do that while working.

I have found that the people who have problems sometimes finding jobs in the social work field are those who have no clue what they want to do with that degree. So they end up applying to jobs from healthcare to mental health to children services and such, and they have not made themselves unique to an employer. Most employers require experience, so that is a challenge...that is why volunteering in an area the social work wants to get a job is a great stepping stone to gaining real life experience, but also networking with professionals. My first couple of jobs I had were offered were through networking.

Social work is a broad field, and there are jobs that may not have the title of "social worker" in the name but the qualifications are for a person with a social work degree. So sometimes we do have to think outside the box!