This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What has produced a better return over the past 60 years, social security or the stock market?
10-14-2012, 03:27 PM
What has produced a better return over the past 60 years, social security or the stock market?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2012, 03:35 PM

Obvious troll is obvious.

The stock market is almost ALWAYS a better return, (especially if you die at 65).

Ads

gihreaoehmoa'[h

Social Security is not an investment program, it is an insurance program.
Which has crashed in the last 60 years? Old People cannot afford to have their security wiped out. Would you ask 80 year olds with failing health to go back to work if it is?

Stock market by a wide margin.

actually the everyday savings bank account produced a better return than SS in the last 60 years.

SS 2 %
Banks 5 to 7 %

http://www.heritage.org/Research/SocialS...A98-01.cfm

http://politicalcalculations.blogspot.co...te-of.html

The stock market, but you have to be in for the long haul. In the glorious Clinton years I quintupled my retirement funds. They haven't moved an inch in the sluggish, mismanaged, Bush years, but I haven't panicked and I haven't lost more than I can recoup. I'll be fine so long as I don't live much passed 110.

Tough to compare. Social security has no money to invest. SSA collects taxes, pays out defined benefits, and, by law, turns anything left over annually to the US Treasury. The Treasury promptly spends the money.

Social Security hasn't even kept up with inflation.
If people had been allowed to buy simple T-Bills with their FICA, they would have been better off.

Common stocks have consistently performed better by a wide margin than SS.
Government employees can invest in a managed program called the Thrift Savings Plan which has several funds and is very safe. Some of the funds are invested in Government bonds and securities.
It has great returns.

SS needs to have a program like TSP.
This would NOT be PRIVATIZING social security.
It would provide a decent return on workers' funds while providing capital to the economy.
The Democrats are using SCARE tactics to block sensible changes in SS that would benefit all of us.