Twitist Forums
Writers: If you were published...(Random writerly questions)? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook Marketing (/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Writers: If you were published...(Random writerly questions)? (/thread-45586.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Hedgi - 11-27-2012 06:40 AM

1) Offer to read and blurb writers soon-to-be published manuscripts?
* yes! ( i would for sure. i always want to read so many books, and reading them early would be fu.
2) Have a blog dedicated (keyword) to offering advice to aspiring authors?
* no, but i'd write tips and stuff in a blog that was also for other things
3) Have a Twitter account, Author blog, or author Facebook fan page?
author blog, yes. fb page, maybe. no twitter
4) Read the good, bad, and ugly reviews for your book?
yeah... and then i'd cry until someone said something good again.Smile
5) Criticize other published authors publicly without being questioned or baited by fans or an interviewer? no. never.

6) Do a blog tour if you're asked?
yeah Smile
7) Do a regular national tour if you're asked?
heck yeah!
8) Sign copies of your books for the local bookstore so fans can get signed copies when they buy the book? it would make my day Smile

9) Let readers send you their books so you can sign them and mail them back?
bruce coville does that. it's the only way i got a copy of his book signed, so yeah, i would
10) Do an overseas book tour if your foreign publisher asked (assuming you've sold foreign rights)?
only to english speaking countries, as i'm a terrible language learner, and i'm always freaked out when i don't know whats going on!
11) Give out bookmarks, bookplates, clothing branded with your book's title (like hoodies that some authors giveaway), pins, or other tangible items branded with your book to fans? [You'd have to pay for it.]
maybe for special releases or contests
12) Give away books to all your family and friends who wanted one?
only the ones that supported me! that means cousins i don't really know gotta buy one Smile
13) Hire an assistant?
no. i'll bribe my friends though
14) Hire a publicist? [Publishers don't do it all or might not put a lot of money into it.]
probably not. word of mouth is the way to go for me.
15) Communicate with fans regularly on Facebook and Twitter? [Some authors do, some don't.]
yeah
16) Give exclusives (interviews, info about upcoming books, or whatever.) to fansites dedicated to your book and/or characters? sure. i wish i'd get to be that popular!

17) Hold a contest to have a fan name a character in your book (including using their own name)?
probably! i have loads of minor characters that i randomly pick names for. contests would be fun
18) Have family and friends go to review sites and review your book?
i wouldn't ask them too, but i've shown some cousins my wotk and they like it so.. *shrugs*
19) Quote the good fan reviews your book has received on your Facebook, Twitter, blog, tumbler, etc.
maybe.
20) Follow fans on twitter, Friend fans on Facebook who send you a request, or follow fans blogs who follow you? [I know this is kind of confusing, hehe, but if you have one of these things then you'll know what I mean.] depends, maybe i would- the facebook thing sure.

21) Have a list of fan sites on your website?
maybe.
22) Give away books to random fans for no reason?
not for 'no reason' but i would give some away- contests, or in certain situations
23) Read all your fan mail, including physical letters and email?
yeah.
24) Accept gifts from fans? Including the innocent like a fan's drawing of your characters to someone's homemade pie. fan art for sure. a pie...maybe not so much

25) Attend a book club discussion of your book if asked by the book club? If so, would you charge?
if asked? yes. i'd not charge either. i like honest feedback, and i like meeting people who've read my stuff. Smile

- Steven J Pemberton - 11-27-2012 06:40 AM

1) I probably wouldn't offer, but if the publisher asked, I might read some of them and offer a quote to any manuscript I thought deserved one.

2) I might do an occasional post of advice for writers, but wouldn't have a blog exclusively for that purpose.

3) Twitter - probably not. Blog - maybe. Facebook - if it's a fan page, wouldn't that mean it was made by fans, so I shouldn't have any influence over it?

4) To begin with, but I'd probably give it up after a while. The temptation to argue with reviewers would become too great after a while, and no good ever comes of it.

5) Not unless my publicist told me to, and convinced me that the controversy would generate enough sales to make up for the ill will I'd generate among the other authors' fans. I'm so cynical sometimes...

6) Sure.

7) Sure, if the publisher paid for it.

8) Yes.

9) As long as they paid the return postage.

10) As long as it was somewhere I'd care to go on holiday, and as long as the publisher paid for it.

11) Not if I had to pay for them. Fans would come to expect them, and I probably wouldn't be able to afford a lot of them.

12) Not to everyone who wanted one - only to people who'd helped me before I got published.

13) Maybe, if I was busy enough to justify one, or if I could afford one.

14) Maybe, if I thought he would bring in a lot more money than he cost.

15) I don't know about "regularly", but I'd try to do it.

16) Yes.

17) God no. Actually, maybe I'd do it for charity. If the fan insisted on naming the character after himself, I'd make something ridiculous and/or humiliating happen to him.

18) No. Readers can almost always tell when a review has been written by someone who is... let's say "predisposed to favour the author."

19) Possibly, but I'd much rather quote from professional reviewers. The trouble with quoting fans is that nobody knows who they are, and so people who don't know them will probably assume that the "fans" are actually your mum or your best friend.

20) Probably not.

21) If there were only a few of them. If there were lots (I can dream, can't I?) I would either have to list all of them (which would confuse new fans who wouldn't know which were the good ones) or pick the ones I thought were best, and risk pissing off the fans who I didn't think had good sites.

22) Probably not.

23) *Read* all of it? Sure. *Answer* all of it? Highly unlikely.

24) The post office will usually refuse to carry anything edible or perishable... Where I live at the moment is very short on space, so if I received more than a few "gifts" I'd have to ask fans not to send them.

25) If it was somewhere I could get to without having to stay overnight, I'd consider it. I'd probably just ask for my expenses.

(Sorry for cutting out the questions, but Y!A seemed to think my answer was too long otherwise. Me? Long-winded? Whatever gave you that idea?)

- Vmeste v Parizhe - 11-27-2012 06:40 AM

Yes

I would a section to my own website that might help them out

Yes

Yes

5) Criticize other published authors publicly without being questioned or baited by fans or an interviewer?
No

IDK what that is

Yes! I mean (too excited) yes Wink

8) Sign copies of your books for the local bookstore so fans can get signed copies when they buy the book?
Yes

Maybe for like a limited-time thing

10) Do an overseas book tour if your foreign publisher asked (assuming you've sold foreign rights)?
Yes

11) Give out bookmarks, bookplates, clothing branded with your book's title (like hoodies that some authors giveaway), pins, or other tangible items branded with your book to fans? [You'd have to pay for it.]
Maybe

My family only

13) Hire an assistant?
No; I work solo

14) Hire a publicist? [Publishers don't do it all or might not put a lot of money into it.]
IDK

15) Communicate with fans regularly on Facebook and Twitter? [Some authors do, some don't.]
Not regularly. I'd give them updates, though

16) Give exclusives (interviews, info about upcoming books, or whatever.) to fansites dedicated to your book and/or characters?
Maybe but I'd do interviews that would benifit everyone

17) Hold a contest to have a fan name a character in your book (including using their own name)?
No

Only if they wanted to. I'd never make them.

19) Quote the good fan reviews your book has received on your Facebook, Twitter, blog, tumbler, etc.
No

20) Follow fans on twitter, Friend fans on Facebook who send you a request, or follow fans blogs who follow you? [I know this is kind of confusing, hehe, but if you have one of these things then you'll know what I mean.]
No

No (gosh I seem so grumpy now lol)

No, unless I held a contest or a limited edition book signing

I would try

24) Accept gifts from fans? Including the innocent like a fan's drawing of your characters to someone's homemade pie.
Yes that is so sweet!

25) Attend a book club discussion of your book if asked by the book club? If so, would you charge?
I might charge if they wanted me to attend. If they asked if I wanted to come (there is a difference if you look carefully) like an invitation and not a request, I'd think about it but still would want to go.

- Gemi - 11-27-2012 06:40 AM

*** If I knew the author, was asked to review, & liked their work then yes. Otherwise no b/c praising bad work is bad for your business and publicly criticizing others is even worse.

*** Definitely not unless I was teaching a work shop. I don't want to see writing as a profession or I'll lose the love for writing. And most advice is subjective.

*** Yes. For fans, it's a must. Those are the people who pay me. It would be a poor show of gratitude to just take their money and ignore them.

*** I would likely pay attention to defamatory critiques that could affect my sales revenue and the critiques by the most important industry institutions.

5) Criticize other published authors publicly without being questioned or baited by fans or an interviewer?
*** Nope. Never. That's social suicide. You might as well buy all of your own books, pile them in the middle of central square and host a book burning ceremony. There goes your marketable name.

*** Doubt it. Depends on the situation and for whom.

*** No. I have a daughter, a life. I can't just up and go on book tours. I'm not in it to play the fame game anyway.

8) Sign copies of your books for the local bookstore so fans can get signed copies when they buy the book?
*** Only when I know that I can bring customers in. Book stores expect authors to bring customers.

*** If they included a return shipping envelope with paid postage? Yes.

*** No refer to question 7.

11) Give out bookmarks, etc
*** It's pretentious to assume people would want it. I write for adults so this would be tacky as well. If I was a children's author then perhaps...if I knew I could sell it

*** Just strangers. Family and friends can borrow from me, strangers share with other strangers.

13) Hire an assistant?
*** No. Unless you count an agent as an "assistant"

14) Hire a publicist?
*** Yes, of course. And I'd have 80% control of my publicity campaign. I have quite a few excellent promotional ideas that have never been tried by authors.

*** Yes, refer to question 3

16) Give exclusives to fansites dedicated to your book and/or characters?
*** Of course

*** It would be something to consider. Probably do something better than a name though.

*** No. That's cheating.

*** No. That's like tooting your own horn and is very tactless.

20) Follow fans on twitter, Friend fans on Facebook who send you a request,...
*** No. I'd reply to who ever left me messages and leave it at that.

*** Only if they benefited from it by increasing traffic to their site/promoted them. Otherwise its tactless.

*** Yes. I'd give them to those who couldn't afford them or had some sort of issues. Not to those who could afford them. I'm there to make money after all.

*** Probably not all of it, assuming there is a lot.

- Wishful Thinking - 11-27-2012 06:40 AM

yay! I love that you did a bunch of questions! Big Grin

1. Yes. I love doing that. I love helping people, even if I'm not that good. XD I still would.

2) Yes. Any advice is good advice. Even more from someone with expierence.

3) Maybe facebook page. I'm not into Twitter, don't think I'll do a blog too much... I might do the facebook because I can. Tongue Better from me than others, I guess...

4) Yes. I love those reviews. Each and every one of them. I improve with each one-good, bad and ugly.

5) If they ask for my honest opinion, I would give it. If that means criticize, then yes. But I'm not going to go around saying "oh, this person sucks in writing".

6) Yeah, why not? Big Grin

7) Why not, I guess?

8) Yes. Big Grin I wanna see my fans! I'll do signings. Hey, if a self-published author can do book signings, why can't I?

9) Yep. Big Grin Or I might just send them a signed copy of it.Tongue

10) And go to a foreign country and have it as a tax deduction because I'm working? Hell yes!

11) I don't mind pins, but other things... I'm not sure I would do all that. It seems... odd. Maybe bookmarks too....

12) Not all because it's my family. >.> Not only do I have a lot of family, but I don't even like most of them.

13) Only if it was too much for me at times. And if it was chances are, I'd just hire my sister. XD

14) Only if I felt the need to.

15) Yes. I love the fans. Fans are awesome. Big Grin Besides, I can get their opinions on things. Or whatever.

16) Yes. I'd make little hints here and there for certain books or whatever. I might even post some random excerpts on a fansite, like an excerpt that didn't make it sort of thing.

17) Depends on the book and the character. I'm not into that too much, but if I felt like it, I might.

18) Only if they're completely honest. But I don't think I would because they would most likely say how amazing I am. That's not helpful. (seen it done)

19) Maybe. I might post some on a fansite that I have or something. But not out for reals or for proof.

20) I'm picky on who friends me on facebook. I've had some stalkers and I don't randomly friend people. If I know them more than just a fan, then maybe.

21) Yes. I'll have a link to the facebook page. And if I did twitter, I'll have a link for that as well.

22) Sure, why not. I'll give out signed copies or something. I might do contests and give some out to fans as well.

23) Yes. I love mail. Big Grin If it was too much, I might not get a chance to read all of it, but I would try. XD

24) I would, but I wouldn't advertise that I do. It's kinda strange. And I don't want people thinking that I have to have these things.

25) Sure. Why not? As long as I don't have plans already. Depends on where it was. If it's far away, at least for the flight and hotel and maybe a bit more. If it wasn't too far, maybe not much. I'm cheap too. XD

- Vengeful Strumpet - 11-27-2012 06:40 AM

Maybe.

Yes, I would.

I'd have a blog, but nothing else.

Yes. If only to learn what I was doing wrong or what I could improve on. Bad reviews are the best you can get, they teach your something.

5) Criticize other published authors publicly without being questioned or baited by fans or an
interviewer?
I wouldn't butt kiss, but I wouldn't completely trash another author, even if I didn't like them. I wouldn't like it if someone did that to me, so I wouldn't do it to someone else.

Maybe

Not regularly, no.

8) Sign copies of your books for the local bookstore so fans can get signed copies when they buy
the book?
Yes.

Yep.

Yes.

No. I don't want my work to turn into a novelty item. Bookmarks, maybe. That's it.

Yes.

13) Hire an assistant?
Nah.

No.

Other than a blog, no. I'd talk to them through that.

16) Give exclusives (interviews, info about upcoming books, or whatever.) to fansites dedicated to your book and/or characters?
Yes.

No.

No, that's cheap.

No.

20) Follow fans on twitter, Friend fans on Facebook who send you a request, or follow fans blogs who follow you? [I know this is kind of confusing, hehe, but if you have one of these things then you'll know what I mean.]
I'd follow the blogs, but not all of them.

Maybe.

Yes.

Yes. It irritates me when famous people don't, I don't care how busy they are.

24) Accept gifts from fans? Including the innocent like a fan's drawing of your characters to someone's homemade pie.
Yes. Within reason. Drawing are fine, little presents, but not an actual gift that's bee paid for.

Yes. I wouldn't charge.

- Kα†η¡ςς - 11-27-2012 06:40 AM

If you were published, would you:

1) YES! i would because I would hope that writers would do the same for me, before I get published.

2) Hmm seems a little arrogant, but if they asked me for one, I would.

3) Again, a little arrogant. But if I received multiple requests I might.

4) Definitely! The good ones make me smile, the bad help me improve.

5) No, I would be humbled to be asked my opinion on a book but I would never disrespect another author's work because chances are that theyre better than me. I might say that I'm not the biggest fan, followed by a compliment.

6) If I'm asked sure, perhaps.

7) Of course! I would love to meet people who I (hopefully) inspire, the same way I love meeting my idols.

8) Of course! I would be honored that they would want the signature of a three year old, but hey...

9) Hmm I think that's a bit much, but I still probably would. (:

10) YES! I love traveling, and it would be very interesting to see how different people react to my book.

11) No, but not because I would have to pay for it, but because I don't want my book to be anything more than a book. no products, no movie, no anything else. that's ridiculous, in my opinion.

12) definitely! its the least I could do.

13) Noooo not unless I got completely overwhelmed, but to me that's a little sign of arrogance, too. I mean authors shouldnt need assistants. If JK Rowling doesnt need one, nor do I.

14) Hmm I don't think so. Well maybe to get my book out there, but once a few people have read it, I would just not worry about it. If you like it, you like it. I don't want tons of merchandise and wild fans and all that.

15) I would love that, because I would love to communicate with my favorite authors so I would gladly talk to my fans. If I had any lol

16) Of course I would! I would be so flattered that they do that, it would seriously be the smallest way to thank them.

17) Hmm that would be a cool thing to do! But I don't think I would, unless it was just a really really minor extra because, to me, names say a lot about a person and I can't write a personality based on a name. its the other way around

18) noooooooo. Wow that would be pointless because they would all say they liked it, and I want honest opinions.

19) No, again, wayyy too arrogant. People will like, and people will hate. I might not be proud or publicize the bad reviews, but I'm not going to show off the good ones.

20) I know what you mean, but I dont think so. I would if I only had a few fans (which is actually realistic haha) but if I ever got a lot, I would just feel bad that I didn't respond to their things. I would if they were like the creator of a fan website or something, though.

21) Hmm I don't think so. If I did, i would try to be humble and just say "If you want to get in touch with other people who like this genre, here are some great sites with nice people." type of thing.

22) Hmm maybe in raffles, but I don't think I would just throw them at random people haha.

23) yes, because I wish my favorite authors would.

24) Well, I wish I could reject them, but that seems rude. I guess I would because I would be offended if an idol rejected my gift. But I would put a note on my website or whatever that I don't want gifts.

25) If I wasn't busy that day, i probably would. It would get tedious after a while and I would probably only do big book groups, not small 5 person book clubs. no I would not charge.

This was fun, but these are all based on the assumption that I will write a book that becomes popular, which is very unlikely.

Good luck
-Kat.

- Lady Ranger-Ninja - 11-27-2012 06:40 AM

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) No
6) No
7) No
8) Yes
9) Yes
10) Maybe
11) Maybe
12) No
13) No
14) Yes
15) That'd be nice.
16) Yes
17) Sure!
18) No (better to be judged by people who don't know you)
19) Yes
20) Yes
21) Yes
22) Maybe not
23) Yes
24) Yes!
25) Yes; I can't decide that right now. It depends on how I fare.