Twitist Forums
Atheists: What do you say about someone who dies? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook Pages (/forum-13.html)
+--- Thread: Atheists: What do you say about someone who dies? (/thread-102063.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Atheists: What do you say about someone who dies? - Brad - 02-20-2014 07:33 PM

I know someone who lost a person very close to him.
This just strikes up curiosity in my mind.
I am unsure if there actually is an afterlife, I do not really consider myself an Atheist, because I just do not know, and I dont think anyone does for sure.

My question is: How would you comfort someone if you are unsure about an afterlife?
I do not think there is a heaven, however, it is important to be comforting to those living, what is a good thing to say?
On the facebook page, people were saying she is in a better place now- I dont know for sure, but I would agree and say the same for the comfort of her family and friends.

What have you done in this situation?

- Racer - 02-20-2014 07:36 PM

I don't say anything that has any religious overtones to it....cause I don't believe in any of it. I simply state that I am sorry for their loss. I don't say bullsh*t like "oh, he's in a better place now".... or "he's with god now"... what a bunch of meaningless words.........

- 856 - 02-20-2014 07:38 PM

You can start by giving them (((hugs))) and offering condolences.

- Shay Goodwin - 02-20-2014 07:52 PM

Any suffering that they experienced is over now, they can finally rest. In their last few moments, I am sure that they went calmly and relaxed into their endings.

- Hail Satan :D - 02-20-2014 07:54 PM

I would say something along the lines of "I'm sorry for your loss. I'm here if you need someone to talk to."

Personally I think "she's in a better place" is insensitive, as it tries to make light of a tragic situation.

- ripcordrider31 - 02-20-2014 07:55 PM

I am atheist that works in hospice care so I especially understand what you're going through. I understand that many people find the idea of an afterlife comforting, and at this point in time there's no need to get philisophical, just be there for him and be a good friend.

- 959 - 02-20-2014 08:00 PM

I usually prefer to talk about how good they were, things they accomplished, how much they will be missed, and how I am a better person for having known them.

- sly phy - 02-20-2014 08:11 PM

'Sorry for your loss' is probably sufficient. Focusing on the needs of the living rather than inventing a bunch of nonsense about the dead is always the better course of action. Look back fondly instead of forward in sorrow.

- whyskyhigh - 02-20-2014 08:24 PM

he is dead

- Brined Soul - 02-20-2014 08:39 PM

"He was quite fat. He'll make good worm food."