Twitist Forums
Why do I receive spam messages on my e-mail from people pretending to be a Facebook friend? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook friends (/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Why do I receive spam messages on my e-mail from people pretending to be a Facebook friend? (/thread-115334.html)

Why do I receive spam messages on my e-mail from people pretending to be a Facebook friend? - whoknows2001 - 03-24-2014 10:48 AM

I have been receiving e-mails from unknown people that use my friend's names. At first I thought my friends were being hacked until I realized some of the names were only from my Facebook friends list. I do not have their individual e-mail linked to my e-mail account. They are just stupid links to (I'm guessing from the descriptions) products, etc. I changed all of my passwords numerous times and this still happens, so I am left wondering what is going on. Help? Thank you, in advance!!!

PLEASE don't be ignorant and leave a stupid answer or assume I'M stupid because SOME people DO come on here with legitimate questions and REALLY want help!

- MisunderstoodWorlock837 - 03-24-2014 10:56 AM

1. Facebook allows most people to see friends lists.
2. It is easy to put a false From: address in email. Just as easy as writing a false return address on a mailed envelope.

If I were a hacker/spammer.. I make money by getting you to open email and buy stuff (or download a virus). So, I set up a program to gather a list of names linked to you.. and thousands of other possible targets.

Then, I set up my spam program to send email to (victim) with From = ( somebody in the list we collected of "victim"'s friends).

It doesn't only happen on Facebook.. but because they have so many people and so little security - they have become a favorite. It used to be hotmail, aol, and others. Next month it may be Google or Twitter.

Basically, the folks sending the email want you to open it.
It is a lot more likely that you are going to open email from folks you recognize.
It is easy to find lists of people you know ( like on Facebook), so they use them.