This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why do I receive spam messages on my e-mail from people pretending to be a Facebook friend?
03-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Why do I receive spam messages on my e-mail from people pretending to be a Facebook friend?
I have been receiving e-mails from unknown people that use my friend's names. At first I thought my friends were being hacked until I realized some of the names were only from my Facebook friends list. I do not have their individual e-mail linked to my e-mail account. They are just stupid links to (I'm guessing from the descriptions) products, etc. I changed all of my passwords numerous times and this still happens, so I am left wondering what is going on. Help? Thank you, in advance!!!

PLEASE don't be ignorant and leave a stupid answer or assume I'M stupid because SOME people DO come on here with legitimate questions and REALLY want help!

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 10:56 AM

1. Facebook allows most people to see friends lists.
2. It is easy to put a false From: address in email. Just as easy as writing a false return address on a mailed envelope.

If I were a hacker/spammer.. I make money by getting you to open email and buy stuff (or download a virus). So, I set up a program to gather a list of names linked to you.. and thousands of other possible targets.

Then, I set up my spam program to send email to (victim) with From = ( somebody in the list we collected of "victim"'s friends).

It doesn't only happen on Facebook.. but because they have so many people and so little security - they have become a favorite. It used to be hotmail, aol, and others. Next month it may be Google or Twitter.

Basically, the folks sending the email want you to open it.
It is a lot more likely that you are going to open email from folks you recognize.
It is easy to find lists of people you know ( like on Facebook), so they use them.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply