Twitist Forums
how can we refresh the internet connection? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: how can we refresh the internet connection? (/thread-146705.html)

how can we refresh the internet connection? - Weird - 04-28-2014 03:25 AM

i mean, there should be a way.
rebooting the router, disconnecting everything for the whole night, ipconfig /renew, flush dns..

dunno, i'm a dummy at computers but i believe there should be a way to 'refresh' the internet connection, like how we 'refresh' the system when we reboot the computer.

can anyone tell me how, please?

- Answers R Us - 04-28-2014 03:33 AM

Your talking about dropping your IP address and getting a new one, each IP address has a lease time with it.
If you get to command prompt and type IPCONFIG /RELEASE it will release your IP.
If your connected via a router then you need to log into your router and locate the command section in there that will do the same command.
You would then issue an IPCONFIG /RENEW command to generate a new IP.

To be fair I dont see why you would need to do this unless you have been doing things and are worried someone might try and track you, they will anyway - when you connect to the Internet your lease records your unique Mac address and this will be totally traceable to your unique network connection.

- IT Expert - 04-28-2014 03:39 AM

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

This releases, and then renews if possible, your IP address for your Internet adapter.

Better yet, put both these commands in a batch file to quickly refresh your Internet connection. I do this on my systems with a batch file I created called 'ip.bat.' And, for added convenience, consider creating a shortcut to this batch file on your Desktop or QuickLaunch bar for one or two-click IP address release and renewal. You may want to add a "pause" command to ensure the Internet connection property refreshed its address before the batch file's DOS window closes.

Here's an example ip.bat:

@ipconfig /release
@ipconfig /renew
@pause