Twitist Forums
Proper internet without landline? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: Proper internet without landline? (/thread-152238.html)

Proper internet without landline? - evol - 04-30-2014 05:38 PM

What do I need to get adsl (or the like). I haven't got a home phone/landline service.

- 615 - 04-30-2014 05:51 PM

Hi from France ♫

Try Wifi (public one).. It works really well here, it's like DSL ! However I live in a building (3rd floor) and that helps to catch better Wifi ...

Best

Cat.

- MAQ - 04-30-2014 06:05 PM

now a days, Internet conneciton is not depended on land phone !!
u can try wifi or wimax or something like this any kind of broadband conneciton

- johnm - 04-30-2014 06:20 PM

I am pretty sure in every country you need a landline to get adsl, since the signal rides on top of the voice line. So you will get charged for a standard phone line and all the taxes that every country piles on that, plus the adsl fee. And adsl isn't even available if you live in a rural area, because you would be over 5.5 km (18,000 feet) away from a central telephone office.

I would look into WiFi (first choice) if there is a city not too far away with free WiFi; you can use directional WiFi antennas with some routers or combined antenna/ routers like the Ubiquity series that are mounted outdoors on the roof.

A second choice would be a 3g or 4g wireless (ie. cell tower) solution using a 3g/4g to WiFi hardware router (available at your cell phone stores). Or, if you have a smartphone, turn on the WiFi hotspot feature but be aware some cell data plans in some countries (like the US) try to bill you twice for using your own data.