Twitist Forums
If I purchased an Apple TV Box could I use it without Cable TV? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: If I purchased an Apple TV Box could I use it without Cable TV? (/thread-164921.html)

If I purchased an Apple TV Box could I use it without Cable TV? - 294 - 06-18-2014 06:51 AM

I want to turn off cable and save money. If I purchased an Apple TV Box could I use it as long as I have internet? Is there weather and news on the Apple TV box? Is it user friendly? Could my 72 year old Mom use it by herself when I am not home? What sort of apps does it have on it? Which model of Apple TV would be the best one to buy?

- Kn - 06-18-2014 07:06 AM

I believe you can turn off your cable and still watch movies. I am pretty sure you can use it with only internet. I don't think there is weather or news, but if you have internet, you can just check it on a computer (if you have one). Apple TV has netlifx, itunes, basically every movie/video program you could want. You can even view videos you made yourself that you uploaded to itunes. It is pretty user-friendly, so depending on how good your mom is with electronics, she should probably be able to use it.

- Greg - 06-18-2014 07:22 AM

AppleTV is fairly easy to use. It does not require anything other than an Internet connection to work properly so you DO NOT need a Cable connection/plan.

Many Apps on it require a subscription for full use but some of them are:
Hulu Plus, Netflix, MLB/MLS/NHL, Smithsonian TV, Red Bull TV, etc.
Weather and News apps yes, anything that you've purchased on iTunes can be viewed on it with Home Sharing via a computer
You can Airplay from an iPhone/iPad to the AppleTV as well.

I believe there is only one model of AppleTV available and it's $99.

- AVDADDY - 06-18-2014 07:38 AM

AppleTV has nothing to do with cable TV. It does require wireless internet.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-appletv/appletv?cid=AOS-US-KWG-KS-467c4779-fda1-bf89-d27d-0000587d1136