This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
If I purchased an Apple TV Box could I use it without Cable TV?
06-18-2014, 06:51 AM
If I purchased an Apple TV Box could I use it without Cable TV?
I want to turn off cable and save money. If I purchased an Apple TV Box could I use it as long as I have internet? Is there weather and news on the Apple TV box? Is it user friendly? Could my 72 year old Mom use it by herself when I am not home? What sort of apps does it have on it? Which model of Apple TV would be the best one to buy?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2014, 07:06 AM

I believe you can turn off your cable and still watch movies. I am pretty sure you can use it with only internet. I don't think there is weather or news, but if you have internet, you can just check it on a computer (if you have one). Apple TV has netlifx, itunes, basically every movie/video program you could want. You can even view videos you made yourself that you uploaded to itunes. It is pretty user-friendly, so depending on how good your mom is with electronics, she should probably be able to use it.

Ads

06-18-2014, 07:22 AM

AppleTV is fairly easy to use. It does not require anything other than an Internet connection to work properly so you DO NOT need a Cable connection/plan.

Many Apps on it require a subscription for full use but some of them are:
Hulu Plus, Netflix, MLB/MLS/NHL, Smithsonian TV, Red Bull TV, etc.
Weather and News apps yes, anything that you've purchased on iTunes can be viewed on it with Home Sharing via a computer
You can Airplay from an iPhone/iPad to the AppleTV as well.

I believe there is only one model of AppleTV available and it's $99.
06-18-2014, 07:38 AM

AppleTV has nothing to do with cable TV. It does require wireless internet.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-appletv/ap...00587d1136