Twitist Forums
Internet Connection issue (Freezing/High Latency)? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Other forums (/forum-31.html)
+--- Forum: General Internet related Qustions (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: Internet Connection issue (Freezing/High Latency)? (/thread-165424.html)

Internet Connection issue (Freezing/High Latency)? - Steve - 06-20-2014 11:07 AM

Earlier today I was on skype and i kept losing connection, then I went to play some world of warcraft I had over 1000ms latency, then i tried playing Counter-Strike: Source it freezes for about 5 seconds every 10-30 seconds. I know it's my ISP, I contacted them and they told me it could be my modem or the cable outlet(I'm with Shaw). Later today a technician is coming over to fix this problem. I just want to know what the problem is.

- Mark - 06-20-2014 11:23 AM

Troubleshooting as follows. Obvious stuff such as reboot your PC, reboot your Modem, make sure you have line filters on all outlets in the house, also try testing with a different line filter. Failing this it could be a line issue which the technician will asses. There are a myriad of reasons this could be happening but that's the basics. Also ask your ISP to disable interleaving, it will lower your latency further.

- 774 - 06-20-2014 11:24 AM

I agree that it sounds like it may have been a modem issue. Have had similar once when it kept dropping connection.

They can get old, or, like ours, if the company increases their internet speed/bandwidth/whatever a current modem might not be able to handle it and need to be replaced.

- Mohamed - 06-20-2014 11:41 AM

How are we supposed to know what the problem is? We aren't God! I don't care if that sounded rude to you or not, but this question is stupid.