Twitist Forums
Why can't I access Steam or DL torrents on my school provided wifi, even though I have a VPN? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook privacy (/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Why can't I access Steam or DL torrents on my school provided wifi, even though I have a VPN? (/thread-16959.html)

Why can't I access Steam or DL torrents on my school provided wifi, even though I have a VPN? - Adam - 11-09-2012 08:53 AM

I am an English teacher at a school in China. I subscribe to Astrill VPN for using FB, Netflix, browsing privately ect...However I notice that when I am on the wifi in my apartment (I do not have access to the router, I simply connect to the network college dorm style) I cannot log into steam and I cannot download torrents. Torrents are not essential for me, I'm more just curious why it won't work. Steam I would really like to have access to. Everything else works swimmingly, and I have no trouble accessing restricted sites such as Facebook, using skype, or anything else. Steam and torrenting both work on other connections such as coffee shops ect.. so i assume that my school must be blocking this somehow. Torrents I understand, but I reserve the right to play games on Steam in the privacy of my own room after work! I was under the assumption that having a VPN would allow me to use these programs regardless of the restrictions at my school but I'm not an expert. Any ideas?

- adaviel - 11-09-2012 09:02 AM

random thoughts:
- the VPN provider might block bittorrent. Does it work elsewhere, e.g. torrent via VPN in the coffee shop ?
- the Chinese are notorious for blocking sites on the Internet. But I would think they'd just block the VPN rather than being able to decode the protocols inside, if it is a secure (encrypted) VPN.

- dim - 11-09-2012 09:02 AM

Maybe try a better VPN provider?

- Meg Sanders - 11-09-2012 09:02 AM

All VPN's are not created equal. All that come with stellar ratings on the VPN review sites get hem because they pay a hefty commission on each sale the VPN review site refers to them and not because they are actually any good. I would agree with the poster above, get a different VPN and don't count on the VPN review sites to tell you which one. Email the company and ask a lot of questions.

You are correct, it should work.

- dom - 11-09-2012 09:02 AM

I use this service in China with no issues http://www.vpnservice.biz