This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why can't I access Steam or DL torrents on my school provided wifi, even though I have a VPN?
11-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Why can't I access Steam or DL torrents on my school provided wifi, even though I have a VPN?
I am an English teacher at a school in China. I subscribe to Astrill VPN for using FB, Netflix, browsing privately ect...However I notice that when I am on the wifi in my apartment (I do not have access to the router, I simply connect to the network college dorm style) I cannot log into steam and I cannot download torrents. Torrents are not essential for me, I'm more just curious why it won't work. Steam I would really like to have access to. Everything else works swimmingly, and I have no trouble accessing restricted sites such as Facebook, using skype, or anything else. Steam and torrenting both work on other connections such as coffee shops ect.. so i assume that my school must be blocking this somehow. Torrents I understand, but I reserve the right to play games on Steam in the privacy of my own room after work! I was under the assumption that having a VPN would allow me to use these programs regardless of the restrictions at my school but I'm not an expert. Any ideas?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 09:02 AM

random thoughts:
- the VPN provider might block bittorrent. Does it work elsewhere, e.g. torrent via VPN in the coffee shop ?
- the Chinese are notorious for blocking sites on the Internet. But I would think they'd just block the VPN rather than being able to decode the protocols inside, if it is a secure (encrypted) VPN.

Ads

Maybe try a better VPN provider?

All VPN's are not created equal. All that come with stellar ratings on the VPN review sites get hem because they pay a hefty commission on each sale the VPN review site refers to them and not because they are actually any good. I would agree with the poster above, get a different VPN and don't count on the VPN review sites to tell you which one. Email the company and ask a lot of questions.

You are correct, it should work.

I use this service in China with no issues http://www.vpnservice.biz