Twitist Forums
If I were a poll clerk for the elections- would I need to remove myself from any political groups on Facebook? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook groups (/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: If I were a poll clerk for the elections- would I need to remove myself from any political groups on Facebook? (/thread-28855.html)

If I were a poll clerk for the elections- would I need to remove myself from any political groups on Facebook? - Lucky - 11-09-2012 01:18 PM

As well as any local political members? If you could advise me that would be great rather than just a yes/no answer.
Please could you also let me know where you have gained your information. Would be interested to hear from past and present poll clerks about this as well.

- George S - 11-09-2012 01:26 PM

No, I don't see why. There's no electioneering permitted at the polls, but that's not at the polls. You're not expected to be apolitical. You're just expected to not show it there.

- stephen.omara - 11-09-2012 01:26 PM

yes hi im only learning this now after 29 years of doing poll clerk. I would remove your account on facebook.

- Harry Hayfield - 11-09-2012 01:26 PM

I'm standing for the local elections on May 1st in the ward of Ciliau Aeron in Ceredigion and therefore have several poll clerks as potential constituents. When I go to see them, I introduce myself and say "Look forward to seeing you on Polling Day" without asking their political opinions.

With regard to yourself, I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to remove your membership (as a precautionary measure) and then rejoin them after the elections.