Twitist Forums
Is it weird to have a reception weeks after you get married? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: General facebook and life forums (/forum-25.html)
+--- Thread: Is it weird to have a reception weeks after you get married? (/thread-34513.html)

Pages: 1 2

Is it weird to have a reception weeks after you get married? - Amanda - 11-09-2012 07:18 PM

We are having a private wedding. Not everyone in our families would be invited. The reception would be for everyone (extended family, friends).

- Mendy - 11-09-2012 07:27 PM

NOT WEIRD AT ALL, ALOT OF PEOPLE DO IT, EVEN THOUGHT ITS PEOPLE YOU MAY NOT KNOW, THEY DO DO IT. WHO CARES WHAT THEY SAY JUST DO IT

- CindyLu - 11-09-2012 07:27 PM

Yes it is.

- Nicole M - 11-09-2012 07:27 PM

its not typical but i dont think its wierd , your day your choice

- tinaaa - 11-09-2012 07:27 PM

why not after the wedding
its more traditional

- TwistedxKiss - 11-09-2012 07:27 PM

Some people would do this if they were having a private ceremony. It's becoming a tradition in my friend's family that they elope in Vegas or Florida and have a reception when they come home. But inviting everyone to the ceremony and then inviting them to a reception a few weeks later would be pretty weird, I'd only go to one.

- *Miss_Autumn* - 11-09-2012 07:27 PM

Yes it is. The reception is held the same day as the wedding, no later than a hour after the ceremony. It doesn't matter if the ceremony was private or not. Any party that you may have later will not be the reception, but rather a celebration of your marriage.

- quietmice976 - 11-09-2012 07:27 PM

No, not at all.

The traditional rule was that a reception should be held within four weeks of the wedding unless extenuating circumstances make it impossible. Nowadays up to eight weeks is acceptable. If extenuating circumstances such as a death in the family, deployment, overseas employment, or a health emergency make even that impossible, the reception may be held even later, but four months is about your maximum. (Not to say that you can't have a party in that circumstance; you just call it a party and not a reception.)

It's called a "reception" because it's where you "receive" your guests as a married couple for the first time. You therefore can't have a reception if you've hosted any kind of party for your friends and family as a married couple beforehand.

- Lovely Bride - 11-09-2012 07:27 PM

That's what we're doing. We're having a tiny ceremony with close family, and then a "reception" afterward. It's really just a party celebrating our marriage. However, it'll only be about a week after the wedding.

I really didn't want to have one, because I didn't want people to think we were just after gifts...but actually, the guests were the ones that insisted we have it. After tons of people calling and asking why we wouldn't have one, we finally gave in.

It was really heart warming to see how much people cared about us even though they knew we couldn't really afford a big wedding that they could all come to.

- Jen - 11-09-2012 07:27 PM

It's not weird at all. Call it a celebration. Many people have a private wedding and a big party after they return from the honeymoon.