Twitist Forums
what is the deal with ppl putting # in their facebook statuses and tweets? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter Hashtag (/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: what is the deal with ppl putting # in their facebook statuses and tweets? (/thread-39601.html)

what is the deal with ppl putting # in their facebook statuses and tweets? - anoncollegekid - 11-09-2012 10:42 PM

- Bob - 11-09-2012 10:50 PM

I dont kno#w. it just #happens ran#domly.

- shallowcactus447 - 11-09-2012 10:50 PM

tags directs you comment to a certain tweet site eg #xfactorau, went to X factor AU show tweet site, follow me tag if you like

- LILPAT133 - 11-09-2012 10:50 PM

It gets annoying there hash tags I feel u

- kat - 11-09-2012 10:50 PM

Well, in facebook it does absolutely nothing Tongue As in there's no clicking feature, but it sort of has a meaning I suppose. That "meaning", or use is a Twitter thing. It's called a hashtag within Twitter. You make hashtags kind of like a title for what you're talking about. For example: "Damn I could use a sandwich #hungry" or "Missing my Babe # lonely" or "Omg!! I can't stand Blah! I can't believe he said that to Bleh!! #[insert reality tv show here]". Then, you could click on the hashtag (so, "#hungry", "#lonely", "#[insert reality tv show here]"), and you can see what other people on Twitter are talking about in relation to that topic, or hashtag if you will (sometimes when a large portion of the 'Twitter community' 'tweets' a certain 'hashtag' that hashtag goes into "trending". People even "hashtag" other people when they're talking about them (often a celebrity, company, charity etc., but then you get more into "@" replies and what not), like, "Run Forest Ruuun!! #ForestGump", or "Hey guys, this is a great charity!! For every member they feed a starving apple in Candyland!! #AnAppleaDay.org".

Now, if you clicked on "#hungry" you may see things like, "Damn, my stomach could compete with the growl of rolling thunder #hungry" or "I eat all the time. I'm never full!! Still #hungry" (often people would hashtag #stillhungry instead in that situation Tongue)

Also, when you click on/search hashtags you can see the related people so if a hashtag is #ZacharyLevi you can go to the actors Twitter page, "Zachary Levi"

SOOO that's my crash course in the [Twitter] hashtag Tongue It's funny... I don't even have a Twitter account, LOL I just know these things Wink

- Xiongie - 11-09-2012 10:50 PM

(1)Twitter
Its called a hashtag (#)
When you put a tweet like:
a. "I'm leaving with #flight1234 tonight"
Anyone who search for "flight1234" at the twitter search bar might just see you tweet

b. "Yay! I bought a new #iPhone4s today!"
Anyone who search for "iPhone4s" might see your tweet
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(2)Facebook
People got used to twitter and put them in facebook, nothing will happen if you search on the search bar "flight1234" though.

- Alex - 11-09-2012 10:50 PM

Testicle

- Christie Hemme - 11-09-2012 10:50 PM

Hello Kaleb,
Xiongie has given the right answer. In twitter if "#" is used before any word it will work as a search term. But in facebook it has no meaning.