Twitist Forums
Why do teens control mainstream music? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter Trends (/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Why do teens control mainstream music? (/thread-41682.html)

Pages: 1 2

Why do teens control mainstream music? - Kurdt - 11-15-2012 08:50 AM

Do you think these social networking sites that are such a huge part of our lives but are mostly inhabited and used most often by teens and tweens (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, maybe Myspace if anyone still uses it) creating the downfall of popular music? As long as we have these sites, will teens choose what is popular just by "tweeting" a song? This is how Justin Bieber, literally one of the biggest stars in the music industry right now whether we like it our not, got famous. How is it any different for anyone else?

- daniel m. - 11-15-2012 08:59 AM

mtv

- Patrick - 11-15-2012 08:59 AM

cuz they buy most of it

- Fading Horse. - 11-15-2012 08:59 AM

One Direction are bigger than Justin now.

- Guy Fawkes - 11-15-2012 08:59 AM

It was happening before social networking sites came out. Just look at NME magazine...

- Sally Michelle - 11-15-2012 08:59 AM

Hmm yeah, all I can say is that they do buy most of it. I'm 15. And I'm into Indie music, this stuff isn't mainstream! But I think it's because a lot of adults don't listen to new music, they listen to songs that were out when they were younger? And if they buy them - They're less likely to get into the chart. Stuff that has just come out should get priority in the charts. Social Networking just informs others of the music in the first place, tweeting about it isn't going to give the artists any money or place them higher in the charts - It just gives them recognition. And the recognition allows people to buy the songs because they've been told about it, and liked it. Also, teens have more time to listen to music, and are more likely to download of Itunes rather than buy an album.

- Dean Sawyer-Terry - 11-15-2012 08:59 AM

The charts these days are not only done by radio requests and physical CD sales, the majority of them are now done via downloads from the internet.
now this has been both a blessing and a curse. Because we get both amazing undiscovered musicians, who wouldn't have been able to afford music school, but we also get artists who are auto-tuned teen sex symbols who have never written a single sale worthy lyric in there life.

- Jared Memorable - 11-15-2012 08:59 AM

cuz we actually buy it!

- Paige - 11-15-2012 08:59 AM

Because a lot of adults don't buy music from itunes, they buy the physical CDs. Young people are the ones who actually DOWNLOAD the music, and get it into the charts. And social networking spreads the word of new songs/artists quickly and efficiently. Once again, it is mainly teens who use social networking sites.

- Emma - 11-15-2012 08:59 AM

because of the advertising thats why their overrated most listen cause they think its popular and its what their friends are listening to cause its all these kids are being exposed to and they dont know any better