Twitist Forums
Should people be allowed to sue fast food restaurants for causing obesity? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Social Marketing (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Should people be allowed to sue fast food restaurants for causing obesity? (/thread-42412.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Freesumpin - 11-18-2012 01:12 PM

In a free economy where the Law of Supply and Demand works fairly well there ARE speed bumps (lard bumps?). As long as people can buy what they want, and as long as companies can advertise almost anything, this is what we seem to be stuck with.
Do companies have any responsibility for selling crap foods that kill our children? I say yes. But people also have the responsibility to educate themselves.

An argument can be made for the conspiracy theory about kids being brainwashed by advertising from the day they were born, getting them hooked by processed sugary foods in a country has rampant juvenile diabetes, eh?

Good luck!

- country girl - 11-18-2012 01:12 PM

No one is forced to eat in a fast food restaurant every day-they choose to do so. There are healthier meals available. Fixing a lunch at home to take to work is less expensive and a lot healthier. Restaurants should not be punished by having to face law suits filed by people who are too lazy to fix themselves healthy meals at home.

- Shriekingwren977 - 11-18-2012 01:12 PM

yea i agree with you
its there choice to eat there
and the resturaunts cant help that its not like they are forcing them to eat there

- kate w - 11-18-2012 01:12 PM

I agree. It is the person's own choice about what they choose to eat. The fast food restaturant should not be able to be sued because of a few bad choices that a person makes.

- starting over - 11-18-2012 01:12 PM

Ok, now we know the dangers of fast food - but what about 20-25 years ago. We have people that were brought up on fast food. Come on- fries, burgers and a playland.

It became a habit and addition, they gained a few pounds and then a few more, it was the habit, but it was there, it was convenient and it was what they always did.

When a 5 year old sees a neat toy from the local fast food, they want the toy, the parent has worked all day and wants some peace and quiet.

Yes, they do hold some of the blame.

- fourthrules2 - 11-18-2012 01:12 PM

All around us, people are presenting us with choices. We have to make the choices we feel are best for us. No one is forcing us to do anything. If we choose to eat the food that is offered in the fast food restaurant, then we have chosen to be obese. It's not like it's a big mystery. You can turn over the tray liner in most stores and look at the calorie information. Furthermore, I doubt that most people who are obese only eat at fast food restaurants and never eat anything else that is high in calories and causes them to gain weight. In addition, restaurants, even fast food restaurants have healthy option available. If you want to eat fast food, you can choose to eat healthier things that are available there.

- Adam Beazley - 11-18-2012 01:12 PM

well the way our system is setup, people are allowed to sue over pretty much anything they want.

Should they be allowed to win, HELL NO!!!

Take responsibility for your actions. Fast food is not healthy and everyone knows that (maybe) but should they be sued for it, NO?

Then whats to stop someone from suing any company that creates an unhealthy product. Candy, alcohol, cigarettes, anyone who makes fried products, ice cream vendors, hot dog manufacturers, etc.. where does it stop?

We are humans and we have the right to choose what we eat and if we make bad choices we have to live with them.

- Maya_sweetangel - 11-18-2012 01:12 PM

I don't think so because every single person is responsible for themselves and what they eat(and everyone knows that fast food is unhealthy and has alot of fat and calories and some people eat it anyway).so why sue a fastfood restraunt for there bad choices so i think they should sue themselves for eating what they eat.

- Janelle Marie - 11-18-2012 01:12 PM

i don't think they should, cuz noone is forcing u 2 go & buy @ the fast food restaurants. its ur own choice 2 go, wait in line, & pay for ur food. if that should be allowed then we should sue every other company that causes ppl harm (not only fast food). if u don't wanna be obesed, then prepare a well-nutritioned meal & move on w/ ur life. its not their fault u're being lazy not wanting 2 cook for urself.

& the coffee part-the coffee is hot!!! damn, ppl complain way 2 damn much. she should already know that the coffee is hot. the coffee cup says caution: HOT. she wouldn't want a cold coffee cuz then she would complain that its 2 cold.

- foodguy - 11-18-2012 01:12 PM

No. It is our free choice. The food can be addictive so people should eat it in mederation.