Twitist Forums
Can I claim copyright/compensation if an image of mine has gone viral? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter followers (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Can I claim copyright/compensation if an image of mine has gone viral? (/thread-43529.html)

Can I claim copyright/compensation if an image of mine has gone viral? - Katy - 11-19-2012 02:22 AM

I posted an image to a follower on twitter in October and on the 30th of April the image went viral - used on Buzzfeed, Reddit and Yahoo each with a little article about the photo. Do i have rights as i have not given any permission for the image to be used. And if i do, how can i claim anything? Or how can i get credit for the photo myself?

- probablygraham - 11-19-2012 02:30 AM

Facebook and Twitter users beware. This is why you shouldn't be using Twitter or Facebook.

- JJ Rob - 11-19-2012 02:30 AM

copywright is tricky. any thing you produce is protected under the act however the issue is you have to have good solid proof that you produced the image.

- Mary - 11-19-2012 02:30 AM

Copyright protection only exists if you attach a proper copyright notice to each copy. If you did not do that, you are out of luck.

- Quizzard - 11-19-2012 02:30 AM

Prove it's yours, then track down each user and issue a cease and desist order, followed by a lawsuit if they refuse to take the photos down.

It'll probably cost you just a few hundred dollars to send the letter to each user. If they take down the photos, you will have no cause for a suit.

- Odd Job - 11-19-2012 02:30 AM

Is it the one where you are pressing your breasts together and trying to lick your nipples? That one is SO HOT!!

- theanswer - 11-19-2012 02:30 AM

Do you hundreds of thousands of dollars to spend on lawers to get just a couple of those images down from just a few websites?

You can claim all you want, but you wont get anything you cant turn off the internet, since your pic is not in a single website but probably dozens if not hundreds.