Twitist Forums
What is wrong with kids these days? Why are they trying to grow up so fast? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: What is wrong with kids these days? Why are they trying to grow up so fast? (/thread-45103.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- el_ravager - 11-27-2012 06:33 AM

I don't think that 13 or 12 is really extremely too young to be concerned about some things that young adults are. I know as a young teen I was definitely concerned with my appearance, however I just think that kids are more comericalized and exposed to mass media marketing today than ever before. They have more expendable income than I did as a child and are as a result targeted at a young age by people looking to make money off of them. Like other's have also said Hollywood and the record industry plays a big role in negative trends with our youth today, specifically regarding over sexualization. These people really don't care about the youth, because these industries are filled with incredibly perverted people who are only concerned about one thing, Money!! and they will exploit and warp to aquire money anyway they can.

Parents are also to blame, as many modern parents are more concerned with their social lives and their careers than instilling good positive values in their kids. They use Hollywood as a baby sitter. It is really no surprise that parents today have messed up kids. A good deal of them were raised by boomers who were a messed up generation.

- Terry - 11-27-2012 06:33 AM

Media plays alarge role in the lives of teens and preteens. Fortunately my daughter is 12 and all she wants to do is to play on the playstation play with her friends and spend time with me during the holidays. Then again my daughter is not girlie so she wants to enjoy the last year of her childhood. She is also determined to study hard to get good grades so that she can work with animals. It all depends on their upbringing as well.I agree it is sadthat girls want to grow up too fast.

- the_thought_occurs - 11-27-2012 06:33 AM

Amen to that! I see girls my Daughters age (13) that look 16,17 with all that make-up on their faces. I did'nt wear it till I was 16 myself. It's crazy!

- TBL - 11-27-2012 06:33 AM

Yeah, I know what you're talking about.

I'm 16. A Junior in high school.

My Mom's an elementary school teacher. Sometimes I'll go to some little event or something at the school to help out. I can't believe what those kids are talking about!

It's all "Who's dating who" and "Listen to this (hardcore) rap/pop-punk" and "Support Our Troops".

I think it's clear they're just mimicking what they see on T.V. and such. They're just trying to adhere to the status quo and be 'cool' and grown up in the eyes of their parents and peers.

But, yeah. When I was in the third, fourth, fifth grade (which really wasn't all that long ago) we NEVER were concerned with that stuff. Even as a pre-teen, it's wasn't as bad as it is now.

It kinda seems like the high school kids are getting more mature and the behavior that was once meant for older kids is spreading down to kids younger and younger.

Sad, really.

Again, they just want to grow up because they have nothing better to do. I'm reminded of a song by Switchfoot, "Gone". Go read the lyrics, it kinda explains things hah.

Peace.

- MISSALLISON - 11-27-2012 06:33 AM

I REALLY DO THINK IT IS THE TV. I'M 20 SOON TO BE 21 AND I DON'T LIKE TO WATCH TV . I HATE TV. WITH MY JOB IT IS FROM SUN UP TO SUN DOWN. I CARE HOW I LOOK BUT IT IS NOT THAT SERIOUS (I WEAR MAKE-UP, AND I THINK I LOOK BEAUTIFUL WITH IT ON BUT I HATE PUTTING IT ON ) AT MY HOUSE WE HAVE 3 TV MY ROOM ONLY HAS A RADIO. ALOT OF KIDS SEE THEIR CELEBS OR OLDER KIDS ON TV AND LOOK UP TO THE THINGS THEY SAY, DO ,PREFER AND SUGGEST. I LOOKED UP TO MY MOM AND SISTER AS A KID AND STILL TO THIS DAY. THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL INSIDE NEVER WORE MAKE-UP AND THEY ARE NOT 120 POUNDS. THEY COULD BE ROCKET SCIENTIST (AND I WOULD PUT MY LIFE ON IT). I LOOK AT A LOT OF THEIR FRIENDS AND THEY WORSHIP THESE 2 WOMEN

- jenhockey24 - 11-27-2012 06:33 AM

i dont no my sister is 12 and wears makeup and some of my friends (13 yrs) do i dunno why

- liquidblue222003 - 11-27-2012 06:33 AM

You think this is sad try being 2o something and see it.
I have a 7 year old girl and we went to get clothes for Christmas in the mall. The particular store we went in to had sparkly bra's and panties for her age. WTF!! You can hardly find anything that doesn't yell "I FEEL LIKE A GROWN UP IN THIS, DO I LOOK LIKE ONE" or how about the hoochy momma clothes they sell for children.
Everything is so superficial these days and everywhere you look these little kids are dressed like little hoes most of the time.
My child told me that she wanted to dress like Brittany Spear's when she was 4. She wanted to wear a short shirt and show her stomach like her. Of course I said no!!!
I went to school with a girl, back in the day, that would not leave her house if she didn't have make-up on. She was in the 5th grade.That is ridiculous.
So, I'm pretty sure allot of it has to do with the media, and other kids doing it. Some parents just don't care, while others don't pay
attention.
It's a sad sad world out there.
And you know what gets me the most? Parent's who wonder why their child got raped when they left the house with their butt hanging out and only a fourth of a shirt on.

- flee1906 - 11-27-2012 06:33 AM

im with ya all the way!! they should enjoy life, enjoy being a teen, live life to the max!!

- lourdes r - 11-27-2012 06:33 AM

because they want to find out if sex is really a good thing

- ray-chel - 11-27-2012 06:33 AM

media, the times are changing and the media is portraying what "real teens" in to with television and the kids watching the shows think thats what real life is like and thats the stuff they need to be in to. i dont neccisarily think its that we're trying to grow up fast, we just are influenced.