Twitist Forums
Are atheists for or against home schooling? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Twitter forums (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Twitter followers (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Are atheists for or against home schooling? (/thread-46767.html)

Pages: 1 2

Are atheists for or against home schooling? - Fight For Freedom - 11-27-2012 06:48 AM

I work with two of your ilk, and they believe homeschooling is bad because they believe the government should be in charge of every aspect of your life. They say homeschoolers be taught by religious nuts, or racists, but they forget that homeschoolers test very well

Five areas of academic pursuit were measured. In reading, the average home-schooler scored at the 89th percentile; language, 84th percentile; math, 84th percentile; science, 86th percentile; and social studies, 84th percentile. In the core studies (reading, language and math), the average home-schooler scored at the 88th percentile.

The average public school student taking these standardized tests scored at the 50th percentile in each subject area.

Read more: HOME-SCHOOLING: Outstanding results on national tests - Washington Times http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/aug/30/home-schooling-outstanding-results-national-tests/#ixzz2Bq4NCMh3
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
Morbo the Hopelessly Clueless- Wrong. Schools get plenty of funding. Read about the bush years. Money was pumped nonstop. I want less taxes, less government, and cuts to the military budget. I'm not anti-education. We can get rid of things like the EPA, ATF, DHS, DOE, etc and then put a little money in education, but use it sensibly. We need education reform in this country because of bad teachers and kids that dont want to learn and their parents that dont give a sh!t

- Inigo Montoya - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

I believe homeschooling is bad because social skills are forged in schools and they are necessary for preparing a person for the real world.

There's more important things to living in the real world than shoring high on tests.

- Carlos K - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

>The average public school student taking these standardized tests scored at the 50th percentile in each subject area.

Makes sense, since the 50th percentile is average.

- Sugar Daddy - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

against. I believe all children deserve a quality education - and that hugely rules out unqualified parental education as a substitute. I am very sceptical of the effects of parents being teachers in that they could shelter them from logic and evidence, as christians love to do. It will also make children ignorant of other cultures and backgrounds based on a lack of interaction.

- stardust - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

Against because of social skills

- Cobalt - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

I would question the quality of education one would receive. It may or may not work, and I do not have enough information on this matter to make any definite conclusions.

- Gig - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

There is more to educating and preparing a kid for life than the number on the top of a piece of paper. Also, I don't really see this as being a religious issue at all.

- Kenneth Xavier - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

I'm on the fence about it. If the kid has a great private tutor that can keep him focused then I'm all for it but at the same time I think school can be great for kids to develop social skills and experience different things.

- Friendlymeal947 - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

That depends, are you going to teach your child actual facts or your religious beliefs disguised as facts?

- neil s - 11-27-2012 06:57 AM

And on social integration? Because an academically advanced person that cannot function in regular society is not much use to even themselves.

I think the general standards are too vague in many areas. Nobody should be allowed to graduate from high school without passing an exam on evolution, for instance. Fortunately, many top universities are requiring that any such deficit be remedied before someone can graduate with their degree.