Twitist Forums
Do you feel facebook causes a problem in marriages? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Do you feel facebook causes a problem in marriages? (/thread-57804.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- mrfrijo - 01-26-2013 02:07 PM

Not if it is used appropriately. I think a big factor is whether you keep the list short--limited to family--or whether you have lots of people you don't know hanging on to your friend list.

- say it all... - 01-26-2013 02:07 PM

Nope...it hasn't been a problem for us at all. It's one way to keep in touch with family and close friends. I don't have a ton of extra FB friends that I don't really know...thus making FB a non-issue for us.

- Ba H - 01-26-2013 02:07 PM

It can, and it has with my family... They are not together anymore. Old flames can find you there, and cause problems... I don't like those sites... They should only be for business.

- Mr O - 01-26-2013 02:07 PM

it can. Isn't about 20% of divorces are because of facebook? Mu sister in law and husband are divorcing because she cheated with an ex boyfriend she's been talking to on facebook.

- happywjc - 01-26-2013 02:07 PM

To a jealous, insecure person, (man/woman),
it will be a problem!
to a "hunter" (man/woman), it is a gold mine of
people!
To a secure, matured, happy man/woman,
it won't be a problem!
It's not "face book", it's the person's objective that might be!

- Bentley - 01-26-2013 02:07 PM

I think if there are marital problems, they could manifest on facebook. I think a person that cheat or has inappropriate boundaries... they are gonna do that anywhere including fb. If there is a jealousy problem, fb could fuel it. If a person has a healthy relationship, good communication, appropriate boundaries.. then fb can't hurt that marriage.

- Alli8833 - 01-26-2013 02:07 PM

Yes. Facebook causes problems AAAALLLL the time. Drama can easily be created (not that it always is), because people reconnecting with old flames and chatting with people from work and stuff feel like it's so easy to do and it seems so harmless on the surface, and then drama ensues as one or the other starts to flirt (because they're bored, or looking for an ego stroke, etc), and it blossoms from there, and then the other person in the relationship almost always finds out eventually, and so on... It's a much better idea to avoid the whole thing and not use facebook beyond racking up a friends list and checking out your homepage once in a while. Better safe than sorry. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, you know? Even the most loyal, honest, and well intentioned person can be susceptible to stuff like this if the circumstances are right, so I figure why take the risk? I've just seen it cause issues too many times, in strong, trusting relationships. I'm not talking divorce, but definitely enough to compromise trust within the relationship.

- Slightly Ravenous - 01-26-2013 02:07 PM

Only if the people in the marriage are immature or untrustworthy to begin with.

Both my husband and I have one. We have not had a single problem.

- mmm - 01-26-2013 02:07 PM

it is very easy to get yourself into trouble ....why bother?

- misswrite1 - 01-26-2013 02:07 PM

My husband and I are very active on each other's Facebook pages, so it's not a problem for us.

I feel bad for your friend and her husband. She should be able to trust him, and he's a grown man who shouldn't require his wife's permission to have a social media account. I don't mean that to sound harsh.