Twitist Forums
Shall I upgrade to windows 8 or keep my windows 7? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Shall I upgrade to windows 8 or keep my windows 7? (/thread-60683.html)

Pages: 1 2

Shall I upgrade to windows 8 or keep my windows 7? - Vexlise - 02-13-2013 12:29 PM

Please tell me

- Lee - 02-13-2013 12:37 PM

Upgrade

- Pragash - 02-13-2013 12:37 PM

If it was me I would keep Windows 7. Windows 8 is too much of a hassle and way too hard to use. All the controls and stuff are really weird. Once, I tried one and I didn't know how to close down the window. If you want to upgrade, you will need to practice a lot!

- DrDave - 02-13-2013 12:37 PM

Did you check for drivers for 8 for your rig? Did you check for software compatibility?

- Rainbow - 02-13-2013 12:37 PM

Keep windows 7 windows 8 is way different and confusing

- Anrom - 02-13-2013 12:37 PM

Windows 8 is not as mature as Windows 7 you will find problems with software compatibility and drivers, so I wouldn't upgrade right now. I find the interface easier to use than windows 7, just takes a bit getting used to...

- Edward H - 02-13-2013 12:37 PM

Windows 8 if you also install Start8 to bring back the start menu - the 'Metro' UI is useless for laptops and desktops, however you'll get faster boot times and generally better performance/new features.

- Shaho Khana - 02-13-2013 12:37 PM

Hello there.

I would really upgrade to Windows 8. I had it for a while but I had to switch back because they discontinued driver support for some f my hardware. I miss it a lot and am pretty mad at Acer for stopping work.

I would check if your hardware is updatable to Windows 8 first so the same thing does not happen to you.

The IE10 browser is the fastest out there (Windows 8 exclusive version) and the Windows 8 interface is great. People just don't want to change from the Windows XP layout (stupidity) that continues throughout Vista and 7.

Good luck on your upgrade and I hope this helped.

- Blas - 02-13-2013 12:37 PM

As Edward H says - Just slap Start8 onto it and you'll be right back into a User Interface just like Windows7 - only more secure and faster.

And it (Start8) costs less than five quid!

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/features.asp

And it gives you the Start button (or a flag) back in the bottom left corner again!

Just read today though that Office 2003 and older doesn't work in Win8, though later versions of Office are ok. Mind you, there's always the free Libre Office if necessary.
I upgraded to Win8 Pro from Vista because it was cheaper than Win7, but since you've already got a perfectly good Win7 I reckon you'd just be spending money for the sake of it really - unless you LIKE spending money and want the latest thing regardless,

- eastlondon02 - 02-13-2013 12:37 PM

I would stay with windows 7, The windows 8 metro start menu is absolutely rubbish, I would stay with windows 7 as windows 8 is really 7 with another crappy OS bolted onto it... Once you installed widows 8 and you use the desktop app you will realize this is just windows 7 without the convectional start button,

It makes the simple things awkward to do, For example, If I want the control panel in 7 all I do is click start then control panel... In 8 its metro I am for ever scrolling for looking for the settings...

Windows 8 works fine for tablets, But if you got Window 7 that's good enough, It's stable and quick..and does nothing different that windows 8 does... .