This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shall I upgrade to windows 8 or keep my windows 7?
02-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Shall I upgrade to windows 8 or keep my windows 7?
Please tell me

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2013, 12:37 PM

Upgrade

Ads

If it was me I would keep Windows 7. Windows 8 is too much of a hassle and way too hard to use. All the controls and stuff are really weird. Once, I tried one and I didn't know how to close down the window. If you want to upgrade, you will need to practice a lot!

Did you check for drivers for 8 for your rig? Did you check for software compatibility?

Keep windows 7 windows 8 is way different and confusing

Windows 8 is not as mature as Windows 7 you will find problems with software compatibility and drivers, so I wouldn't upgrade right now. I find the interface easier to use than windows 7, just takes a bit getting used to...

Windows 8 if you also install Start8 to bring back the start menu - the 'Metro' UI is useless for laptops and desktops, however you'll get faster boot times and generally better performance/new features.

As Edward H says - Just slap Start8 onto it and you'll be right back into a User Interface just like Windows7 - only more secure and faster.

And it (Start8) costs less than five quid!

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/features.asp

And it gives you the Start button (or a flag) back in the bottom left corner again!

Just read today though that Office 2003 and older doesn't work in Win8, though later versions of Office are ok. Mind you, there's always the free Libre Office if necessary.
I upgraded to Win8 Pro from Vista because it was cheaper than Win7, but since you've already got a perfectly good Win7 I reckon you'd just be spending money for the sake of it really - unless you LIKE spending money and want the latest thing regardless,

It depends on what you are using it for. If you are a gamer then no. If you are a social media person then sure. I personally don't recommend it.

I would suggest keep 7. Windows 8 is not at all necessary, and Microsoft have stepped over a line (for me) by killing off perfectly reasonable versions of IE (.e.g 9) with newer WIndows. I've now moved to Chrome.

Maybe eventually it will take root, well. But for now, compatibility isn't good enough yet, especially on non Officy type applications: e.g. games.