Twitist Forums
Do I have a case against my former employer for wrongful discharge? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: General Social Media questions (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Do I have a case against my former employer for wrongful discharge? (/thread-64907.html)

Do I have a case against my former employer for wrongful discharge? - deoarby - 02-28-2013 12:06 PM

I was fired for violating a social media policy. IL Unemployment turned me down for benefits. I filed an appeal and won. They ruled in my favor saying that I did not violate a reasonable policy. Can I use this as a way to file a case against the employer for wrongful discharge?

- xpatinasia - 02-28-2013 12:13 PM

Nope.

- Fustercluck - 02-28-2013 12:21 PM

No way.
Violation of company policy is cause for termination. They were not wrong you were.

Employers can terminate any employee at any time with or without cause. If its without cause meaning the employee did not do anything he/she was not supposed to and also didn't fail to do their job he/she will probably get unemployment. If terminated for cause, even a lame one, chances are the employee will not get unemployment.

I'm a former Wal-Mart Store Manager with eleven years service including as overall General Store Manager of two Texas Wal-Mart Super Centers.

- wg0z - 02-28-2013 12:30 PM

nope. you will now be able to collect unemployment, though, since you won the appeal.