Twitist Forums
can my apple computer get a virus from facebook? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: Facebook forums (/forum-14.html)
+--- Forum: Facebook apps (/forum-22.html)
+--- Thread: can my apple computer get a virus from facebook? (/thread-67548.html)

can my apple computer get a virus from facebook? - Unidentified - 03-26-2013 06:57 PM

I just got a new macbook because my old computer had tons of viruses and now im scared to go on facebook because i dont want to get another virus on my computer.

- uHuRu - 03-26-2013 07:05 PM

absolutely no

- Aaron - 03-26-2013 07:05 PM

as of right now, there are very few viruses that can infect an apple computer. This may fact may change in a few years, but for now you are safe.

- bella*italia - 03-26-2013 07:05 PM

apple is known for their protection against virus' so dont have any worrys ! the only thing i would watch out for would be limewire..but some apple computers dont even let you download it

- Tarheelienc - 03-26-2013 07:05 PM

My advice- get maybe AVG Free, one of the best antivirus programs out there. you can download it from the internet just to be safe. it depends if your old computer was a mac or a windows, because windows computers have a much higher risk of getting viruses. Me personally, I've been on facebook hundreds of times, have NO antivirus software, and my vista is running still how it ran when I got it. not to promote vista, so mac leopard is a very good operating system in of itself in blocking viruses- and most viruses are written for windows, so to answer your question, it is VERY unlikely to get a virus from facebook, unless you're visiting a phish facebook (fake, scam).

- Jessica Queller - 03-26-2013 07:05 PM

It's difficult to find the right balance between ultra-paranoid and overly smug, but you should find it.

I know people like to cling to one approach or the other ("They're out to get me. Anything I do is dangerous. Help!" or "I have a Mac. I'm invincible!"). Just use common sense. Mac has better security in place than Windows and is a smaller target for now, but if you're stupid and can be tricked into installing untrustworthy software, your computer will be compromised.

- Steve - 03-26-2013 07:05 PM

Today, there are no none viruses that will infect a Mac with OS X installed. This does not necessarily mean you are safe. Someone mey be releasing one right now.

Of course, the 140,000+ known viruses that will infect Windows computer compared to the 0 known viruses means that you are much safer against viruses with a Mac than with a Windows computer.

- ABOOD - 03-26-2013 07:05 PM

the point of strength in apple products is that it is so so rare to get a virus on them.... so, do not worry at all!

- colossaloatmeal479 - 03-26-2013 07:05 PM

There aren't many viruses on the mac.
but maybe few years later...
most of the viruses attack windows, less attack mac.

don't worry,for now, it's still safe without anti-virus programs.
you can still install if you are worried. intego symantec

your safe to go to facebook!

you can turn on the firewall in system preferences.