This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
can my apple computer get a virus from facebook?
03-26-2013, 06:57 PM
can my apple computer get a virus from facebook?
I just got a new macbook because my old computer had tons of viruses and now im scared to go on facebook because i dont want to get another virus on my computer.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2013, 07:05 PM

absolutely no

Ads

as of right now, there are very few viruses that can infect an apple computer. This may fact may change in a few years, but for now you are safe.

apple is known for their protection against virus' so dont have any worrys ! the only thing i would watch out for would be limewire..but some apple computers dont even let you download it

My advice- get maybe AVG Free, one of the best antivirus programs out there. you can download it from the internet just to be safe. it depends if your old computer was a mac or a windows, because windows computers have a much higher risk of getting viruses. Me personally, I've been on facebook hundreds of times, have NO antivirus software, and my vista is running still how it ran when I got it. not to promote vista, so mac leopard is a very good operating system in of itself in blocking viruses- and most viruses are written for windows, so to answer your question, it is VERY unlikely to get a virus from facebook, unless you're visiting a phish facebook (fake, scam).

It's difficult to find the right balance between ultra-paranoid and overly smug, but you should find it.

I know people like to cling to one approach or the other ("They're out to get me. Anything I do is dangerous. Help!" or "I have a Mac. I'm invincible!"). Just use common sense. Mac has better security in place than Windows and is a smaller target for now, but if you're stupid and can be tricked into installing untrustworthy software, your computer will be compromised.

Today, there are no none viruses that will infect a Mac with OS X installed. This does not necessarily mean you are safe. Someone mey be releasing one right now.

Of course, the 140,000+ known viruses that will infect Windows computer compared to the 0 known viruses means that you are much safer against viruses with a Mac than with a Windows computer.

the point of strength in apple products is that it is so so rare to get a virus on them.... so, do not worry at all!

There aren't many viruses on the mac.
but maybe few years later...
most of the viruses attack windows, less attack mac.

don't worry,for now, it's still safe without anti-virus programs.
you can still install if you are worried. intego symantec

your safe to go to facebook!

you can turn on the firewall in system preferences.