Twitist Forums
Remember when Dubya & the c0ns wanted to merge social security with the stock market? - Printable Version

+- Twitist Forums (http://twitist.com)
+-- Forum: General Social Media & Marketing Forums (/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Social Marketing (/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Remember when Dubya & the c0ns wanted to merge social security with the stock market? (/thread-9019.html)

Pages: 1 2

Remember when Dubya & the c0ns wanted to merge social security with the stock market? - Who now? - 10-13-2012 09:02 PM

- as.erwin - 10-13-2012 09:10 PM

I would have retired years ago if that 12.4% that is taken from my check had been in a mutual fund or an IRA... something getting more than the 2% per year that the government offers!

- Master Obi Con - 10-13-2012 09:10 PM

We wanted to give you the choice of merging with the stock market.

Why aren't you pro-choice?

- ugly - 10-13-2012 09:10 PM

Yeah that was just insane. He was trying to inflate the market. I wonder which companies would have made the 'approved' list.

- LadyB - 10-13-2012 09:10 PM

Perhaps the real reason for that plan was EXACTLY what it looks like now....

As in "steal from the poor and give it to the rich."

Kind of what Robin Hood did, only backward. But their hero was Hobin Rood, a dyslexic crusader.

- ggraves1724 - 10-13-2012 09:10 PM

That's not exactly true. President Bush wanted it to be done voluntarily, and I got to tell you, it could have worked. When he got the thumbs down he asked for alternatives for the other side of the isle, and got none! It's no wonder there's a similar response to the Democrats Health Care reform. All these guys are working for their own special interest.

- tribeca_belle - 10-13-2012 09:10 PM

Yes, I remember. It would have been a disaster. There would have been panic in the streets. It's bad enough that our 401k's plummeted in value when the stock market tanked but many seniors actually depend on their Social Security payments.

- Bub - 10-13-2012 09:10 PM

Yes I do. Thank the lord that never happened. All the poor elderly drawing SS would have been up a creek without a paddle if that had happened.

- Mad Mama - 10-13-2012 09:10 PM

Yes, and that would have been very bad for the nation last year at this time.

People are free to invest in the market on their own if they feel that is the way to go. Social Security is 6.2% of your check. They can invest 6.2% of their take home pay - it isn't that much, if they feel the stock market is the way to go.

Since SS won't be solvent by the time I retire - I am investing in the stock market now.

- Andrew - 10-13-2012 09:10 PM

Remember when liberals wanted the nanny government to control their retirement and social security became an insolvent ponzi scheme?