This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do I need to open a closed adoption record if all I need is my birthparents medical history?
11-09-2012, 07:21 PM

7rin's answer is correct. HiPPA laws will not allow you to get any medical information that your natural parents do not wish to provide.

Some states have a passive medical exchange whereby a natural mother can provide medical history whether or not she chooses to ever meet her adopted out child. Check the list to see if your state is one of them. My state Pennsylvania has one although they don't promote or advertise it so most people don't even know it's there.

Once you've checked your state, If I was in your shoes and concerned about being a sensitive and compassionate person, (you may not have such a concern) I would write a letter when I was ready to either the agency to forward to your mother or directly to your mother if as you claim you know where she is; stating that while you are not ready for contact you would like any family medical history she is willing to share about her family and the fathers. But legally it's her choice as to whether she wants to give it to you.

You mention you were adopted when you were 8 years old. Were you in foster care before that? If so, there may be some medical records there as well. Or were you with your natural mother? Without knowing your specific case, it's difficult to give you an exact answer.

Just remember - the woman who carried you within her body for 9 months while you were gestating has feelings too, and no mother wishes to be only thought of as a birthing device. Good luck.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - minimouse68 - 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM
[] - cricketlady - 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM
[] - 7rin - 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM
[] - H****** - 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM
[] - livin life - 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM
[] - Doodlestuff - 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM
[] - Damitra - 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM
[] - gypsywinter - 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM
[] - Carol c - 11-09-2012 07:21 PM