This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I am looking for a way to believe in God?
01-27-2013, 04:46 PM

Well, without knowing in detail what you "know" to be true that is sort of tough. I put the word know in quotes because I was where you are now, and thought that I knew a lot of things. But then I found out that I didn't even know what I thought I knew. My journey brought me from Catholicism to atheism to being an agnostic, a deist, a Christian, to Catholicism. There is a reason why Catholicism is the largest single faith in the world, and it is not because people are born into it. It is because people have found truth in it. Certainly even Catholicism has some things which I just cannot believe, but they are minor issues.

If your complaint is the constant evolution vs creation debate then know that even the Pope believes in evolution. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19956961/ns/...absurdity/ If one holds the believe that God is responsible for the creation of the universe (in whatever way He chose) then it also follows that He created the science by which it runs. Science therefore can never "disprove" God or religion. All it can do is tell us more about how He did what He did. This concept is not something new. It was argued as far back as over a thousand years ago.

Here is what some scientists have said. Please note that Hawking is an atheist and Jastrow is agnostic.

"The more I examine the universe and the details of its architecture, the more evidence I find that the universe in some sense must have known we were coming.” -- Freeman Dyson

“The laws of science, as we know them at present, contain many fundamental numbers, like the size of the electric charge of the electron and the ratio of the masses of the proton and the electron …. The remarkable fact is that the values of these numbers seem to have been finely adjusted to make possible the development of life.” -- Stephen Hawking

"A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with the physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question." -- Sir Fred Hoyle

"For the scientist who has lived by faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries." -- Robert Jastrow

Edit: In as far as good books to read "Mere Christianity" by C. S. Lewis is a classic.
I also like "Beyond the Cosmos" by Hugh Ross.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - noname - 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM
[] - Tiny Tim - 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM
[] - jupiter FIVE - 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM
[] - I'm Zeus - 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM
[] - Q J - 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM
[] - Dave D - 01-27-2013 04:46 PM
[] - oldandtired - 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM
[] - ManofEcstasy - 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM
[] - Mortal Seeker - 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM