This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do I need Alcoholics Anonymous?
10-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Do I need Alcoholics Anonymous?
I was engaged to a girl at 20 years old. We lived together since we were 18 for a few years, moving out of state away from family. Times got bad and we used alcohol as self medication every day, binge drinking. It helped us by numbing the bad, and escaping our problems. Time moved on and we eventually broke up. Since then, I can't get my mind off her. It's been a year, fourth months, and two weeks. I've been getting drunk in my room about 4-5 days a week. Though, it's as it was before, for an escape. A few months in this break-up period, I had no addiction to alcohol, no wanting of it because I met someone else and for a time and it made me forget about her. This was only denial and a quick fix, but what I'm trying to get at is I did not need the substance when I was in a happier state. I work as a composer for media, and work from home. Because of this, I do not have any friends, and stay home day in and day out working. No real way to go out and meet people as I live in a new city and my job does not permit me to be around people (once again, I work from home). I get into deep depression and drink to, well, as cliche as this may be, drink my pain away. I do know for a fact that if I'm happy, and in a good place, no addiction is present. It is only escape because I lost her, and I am alone in terms of friendship. The former is the majority by far.

Sorry for the paragraph of self-serving depression. I don't mean to try to attract sympathy. All I'm wondering is, considering my situation, do I need AA? I feel I need alcohol every night I'm in this room alone, though when I used to have friends and a somewhat healthy lifestyle, it was not like the problem I have now. Though, in my profession, there's not many ways to get a social life, living in a new city. Kind of a catch 22.

Thanks everyone

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Do I need Alcoholics Anonymous? - Jonathan - 10-14-2012 03:03 PM
[] - dWali - 10-14-2012, 03:11 PM
[] - 2teachU Islam - 10-14-2012, 03:11 PM
[] - Stinky - 10-14-2012, 03:11 PM
[] - mammothvolcano594 - 10-14-2012, 03:11 PM
[] - TyB - 10-14-2012, 03:11 PM