This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is college worth it anymore?
02-24-2014, 04:24 PM

What degrees do your family and friends have? Psychology is a very over saturated field (I tend to hear this degree the most when people make the claim that college isn't worth it) and one needs a pH.D and a clear plan (plus maybe a minor in something else) to really excel. Liberal arts and social sciences aren't really in. If you major in something in the STEM field (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math), you're more likely to have a job. Note however, that Biology is one of those STEM fields that requires a little more work (you probably should get at least a masters). To ensure college is worth the money, do research on thriving fields and what their average income is. For example, I'm hoping to become a Reproductive Biologist and they make (on average) about $89,000 a year.
With that said, it's not impossible to get a job that pays well. I have a friend whose mother makes 6 figures without a college degree. Granted, she got the job way before the market crashed and employers required a college degree, but it's not to say those jobs aren't out there.
There are many ways to go to college for nearly free. The first would be apply to schools in state and if you do want to leave, apply to schools where they tend to give out a lot of financial aid. Also make sure you fill out the FAFSA, which is a form to get money from the government (that you don't have to pay back) to go to school based on income. There are also numerous scholarships out there for grades, financial income, activities, etc. You have to scope them out. Save money from working also (and finding a job on campus can offset tuition costs also.
To me, I think college is worth it IF you have a degree in something marketable. Hope this helps.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Is college worth it anymore? - Kody Karls - 02-24-2014, 03:55 PM
[] - CAB - 02-24-2014, 04:09 PM
[] - Midzy - 02-24-2014, 04:12 PM
[] - Bennie - 02-24-2014, 04:16 PM
[] - Educated Silence - 02-24-2014 04:24 PM
[] - Phillip Morgan - 02-24-2014, 04:40 PM
[] - Leona - 02-24-2014, 04:42 PM