This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mental Health Dead End - NHS - HELP!!!?
02-28-2014, 08:51 AM

Hi Hannah.

NHS mental health care is getting worse each year and yet they believe they are getting better at it! I think it's time to produce some indisputable evidence to show her GP and her local MP. There is the simple option of recording her in audio ranting about conspiracies theories or secondly recording her in audio visual using a webcam or a nanny cam. If you Google nanny cam some cheap options appear on Amazon or ebay.

This pinhole camera records in colour and includes audio. The cost is only £15.48 including postage. It's only a third of an inch across and you can conceal it on yourself to record your mum when she is going on. Take the evidence to her GP and if s/he won't do anything drop in on the local MP with threats of an NHS scandal in the media. If you have proof and the NHS fails to act then they are not honouring the duty of care they have towards your mother.

You can try calling Carers Direct on 0300 123 1053
Confidential information and advice for anyone looking after someone else.

Mind Info Line on 0845 766 0163
Mind's helpline gives confidential advice and help for people with mental health problems.

Rethink on 0845 456 0455
Helpline services offering practical and emotional support to those experiencing severe mental illness, their carers and relatives.
Rethink have been enormously helpful to me.

I really do wish you the best of luck getting your mother the help she needs.
Best wishes, A x

Regarding the advice given by Jack: Private psychiatrists cost about £200 - £300 per session and they would need to see your mother more than once to diagnose her. There is no reason why she would suddenly start being honest and pour her heart out to a doctor just because he's expensive. The medications would no longer available on an NHS prescription and can run into hundreds of pounds.

A private psychiatrist can only section your mum to a private psychiatric unit otherwise all he can do is write a report to her GP recommending an assessment by an NHS psychiatrist. He will even charge to write the letter. I've been in a private psychiatric unit before and the basic cost 14 years ago was £2,100 per week. That is not including tests, drugs, 1-2-1 nursing and everything else they can charge for. My stay cost well over £20,000 [14 years ago].
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Jack - 02-28-2014, 08:37 AM
[] - Autumn - 02-28-2014 08:51 AM