This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Dad yelled at me because I like KPOP?
03-06-2014, 07:43 AM

Whoa. It's like reading my own questions. =O

JK Wink But my parents abhor Kpop as well and I have to say the best way to settle things is to just talk to them about it. Have a discussion on the elements of Kpop and why you enjoy it the way you do. He can in turn tell you why he dislikes it. The biggest reason is probably that he feels it is a bigger part of your life than it should be.

Obviously, you and I both know that Kpop is a lot more than just music and that can be a big annoyance to people around you. It starts seeping into conversations, your music channels, and since you run an Instagram, I assume you look at a lot of photos. For parents who aren't into the stuff, it can be a bit much. He might even be worried that you are spending too much time on it.

Going on to the more serious stuff, I guess it would depend on what ethnicity you are, but my parents are Chinese and they have a lot to say about "those Koreans and their plastic surgery" They seriously HATE the boybands. "Ugliest girls alive" according to my dad. (Cultural stereotypes may show.) Kpop is also highly produced and easily comes off as fake and flashy to outsiders.

I think you should always remind yourself (and your dad) that Kpop is all in good fun and that nobody is influencing anybody. It's something you like and there's no shame in that. Especially if it interests you. Good luck and I wish you the best! =)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Victoria - 03-06-2014, 07:25 AM
[] - turquoiseshadow - 03-06-2014, 07:27 AM
[] - Xiaolei - 03-06-2014 07:43 AM