This Forum has been archived there is no more new posts or threads ... use this link to report any abusive content
==> Report abusive content in this page <==

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do you think my photography is good enough...?
03-18-2014, 03:18 PM

My first question is do you have signed model releases from parent or guardian for those under 18, or from the individual if over 18 for every picture on your flickr photostream?

You should. Add it into details whether you do or not.

If you're getting that much work, the best bet would be to rent a studio as needed, and charge two separate rates, studio or location prices. A studio rental is around 25.00 an hour, so just tack that onto your current rate. Opening a studio is a massive expense, lights, backgrounds, building rentals and business licenses, along with insurance and everything else. Rent one to see if it's worthwhile.

Once you find a studio is profitable, better to share a studio, or build one with the outlook of renting it out. You can make as much money on your off days if you have a good rental base.

EDIT-Eric, you're forgetting one thing, when you rent the studio, you are handing them a check, it's called business expenses. You don't pay tax on your expenses, only your income.

EDIT- Winter, you need a model release any time you are publishing a photo. Even putting a photo on a Flickr photostream should have a release, especially if it's a minor. How would you feel if you brought your kid for a shoot, and then someone showed you his picture on Flickr? Even worse, people started using it without permission, and your kids photo was all over the net. At least with a signed release, the photographer is covered, without it, you are asking for trouble. If you put it in a printed portfolio you carry around, not essential, but still a courtesy.

I asked the question of releases to see how business oriented she was. Anyone doing photography as a business carries model releases in their bag.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[] - Rivers <3 - 03-18-2014, 03:14 PM
[] - Kevin K - 03-18-2014 03:18 PM
[] - Eric Lefebvre - 03-18-2014, 03:27 PM
[] - Winter Star - 03-18-2014, 03:35 PM
[] - jjt168 - 03-18-2014, 03:48 PM